Tuesday, October 23, 2018

Once In A Lifetime...Two Years in a Row

Some people never get to do this.  I mean, there were Chicago Cub fans who were born and died without ever getting to go to a World Series game.

Me?   I get to do it two years in a row.  And, as I look at this logo history above, I realize that I've been blessed.   I remember going to Yankee Stadium in 1976 and seeing the Reds sweep the Bronx Bombers.  I was a kid.  My team wasn't in the hunt.  I didn't care.

I remember going back to Yankee Stadium in 1977 and 1978 when the Dodgers played and lost to the Yankees.   I sort of rooted for the LA team just to be obnoxious.  Little did I know at the time.   I know I saw Reggie Jackson hit three homers in one game.   Ugh.

Of course, my nirvana was in 1986 when my beloved Mets beat the Red Sox of Boston...hmm, how does that happen again?   I was there for five of the seven games and that includes traveling up to Fenway Dump for one night.   Yes, I was there for Mookie and Buckner and yes, I was there for Ray Knight's homer in the seventh inning of Game 7.   One of the most euphoric feelings in my life ever.

Years later, this adult is now on the West Coast and a Dodger season ticket holder.  Last year, there was a World Series visitation and an ignoble Game 7 which was one of the most non-euphoric feelings in my life.

It is hard to repeat back-to-back years in the World Series, but thanks to the Dodgers I now have some place to go next Friday through Sunday.   Oddly enough, after all that energy draining, I literally have to fly to New York on Monday morning.   I might be going in a body bag.

These are the moments you cherish and crave, no matter how euphoric or non-euphoric they are.

I am going to the World Series again!

Dinner last night:  Grilled bratwurst.

No comments: