Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Christmas at Dodger Stadium - A Photo Essay


While I struggle to stay connected to the Mets in their new Citi Field, the Dodgers went a long way in keeping this season ticket holder engaged in a big way on the West Coast. Last Sunday, I was one of the 250 season plan holder invited to their holiday celebration on the field. This was perhaps one of the best events I've ever attended in a baseball stadium. With Christmas songs blaring over the loudspeaker, we got the run of the place. There was no place you couldn't visit. The dugouts, the bullpens, even the padded luxury seats. Dodger greats and some not-so-greats circulated amongst the fans who were also treated to concession prices from circa-1965. Sodas were two bucks. Sandy Koufax was arthritis-free the last time that happened. Join me as I take you around the ballpark. My co-host for the tour is the esteemed Mr. Anonymous from the Barbara Judith Deluxe Furnished Apartments on Hollywood Boulevard.
I'm in centerfield with the stadium in full view. With all these folks tramping all over the field, the groundskeepers will be putting in for overtime. When you stand in the outfield, you really appreciate how enormous the place is.On the mound where Koufax, Drysdale, Hershiser, Fernando, and Scott Proctor have thrown. Okay, I went one too far, didn't I? That is not a balk move, by the way. But, I have one question: why am I throwing lefthanded?Super-young Clayton Kershaw, who looks as if he could be working the counter at Blockbuster Video during the winter, gave some curveball tips. Nice kid. And I emphasize "kid."Posing with the Prime Sports guys, Steve Lyons and Kevin Kennedy. On the end is Dodger radio play-by-play announcer Charlie Steiner who was super nice. FYI, Lyons spent a lot of the afternoon hitting on some tall blonde.On the warning track in right field. I have no idea who the Grenado family is.A relic from the days when relief pitchers came into the game via a golf cart like this. Sadly, the ignition key was not available. This easily could have wound up in my garage by the end of the day.In the Dodger dugout. There's a reason you always see the players hanging over the railing on the top step. When you're seated, you can't see shit on the field. The bullpen phone in the visitor's dugout. I actually got a dialtone and tried to warm up a lefthander.They had a neat photo gimmick. You stand at home plate between two World Series trophies and they flash your names on the scoreboard behind you. I got a little creative and simply had them put my season season location.Last but not least, here's our photo op with Santa. And not just any old run-of-the-mill Santa. Yep, here's Tommy Lasorda. When we sidled up for the picture, I had the following exchange.
"Hey, Tommy, I used to bleed Met blue and orange. But now I think it's all Dodger blue."
"Well, now you're making sense, pal."
Glad you think so, Tommy. Because with days like this at Dodger Stadium, I'll never ever go back to Flushing again.
Dinner last night: Cajun jumbalaya at the Cheesecake Factory.
And tomorrow from New York where my holiday merriment this week will include Radio City Music Hall, "Shrek: The Musical," "Gypsy" with Patti LuPone, and probably a lot of annoying people.




3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm still wondering if it really happened. Did we actually meet Tommy Lasorda and was he dressed as Santa?

It's so surreal and funny and unforgettable. It's a new and very different Christmas memory.

You haven't seen Dodger Stadium until you see it from the field. Much more impressive that way, even empty.

Thanks, Dodgers. We'll be back.

Unknown said...

Question? There are actual photos of Mr. Anonynmous, who has not looked at a photo of himself since 1985. So, Mr. Anonymous, did you look, just this one time? Bet you did.

Anonymous said...

Duh! Did you read my comment above?

I broke my cardinal rule of not looking at any photo of myself. The moment's worth it. Never did I imagine I'd meet Tommy Lasorda dressed as Santa on the field of Dodger Stadium. These things just don't happen. But it did.

I was also happy to meet our favorite usher, Richard, at the event and play Jimmy Olsen for one of baseball's truest fans, the owner of this blog.