Friday, November 27, 2009

A Thousand Days...or So....

This photo would be great if my last name was Kershaw. It is not. But, the young leftie is one of my favorite Dodgers. And this is my favorite baseball number. So, there's one more thing you just learned from this blog, which this week (Wednesday) featured its 1,000th entry.

Yes, a thousand days...or so. Just like JFK's administration, which explains why the bubbletop is on my limousine today. Oh, there were a few times where I posted twice in one day. And I reserve the right to do that again when situations warrant my comments. A Dodger World Series win. Obama falling down the stairs of Air Force One. But, generally, I'm here with you once a day and I am so friggin' delighted that you are as well.

Site Meter has shown me with readers in Canada, Germany, Holland, and, on one day, Africa. I'm guessing that person hasn't been back since. And who would blame them?

Feeling pensive and retrospective, I ambled back to Day One, Post One. How did this start? Remember when? Please cue the usual flashback music.

Jell-o, this is Jack Benny speaking. This is 2009 Len with commentary. As you can see, I was experimenting with colors back when. And apparently channeling dead radio hosts. What was I thinking? Readers would have to be over 80 to get that reference. Perhaps I should have stopped right then and there.

Well, not really. But I am commencing a new chapter in my world. I have been intrigued by some of the personal blogs I have read from friends, people in the industry, etc.. I never really got into doing a daily journal, but this might be a good venue to start. You'll have to admit that reading this daily journal is a lot more fun than reading the works of Sylvia Plath, who is continually searching how to kick the stool out from under her feet.

I can muse everyday on whatever is on my mind. Hopefully, this will be a good way to stay connected with folks. And, this is an ideal offshoot of that Christmas newsletter I do---an annual device which has obviously been well-received, although I start it as a complete goof. Now this brings up an interesting development. Once I started spitting this stuff out on a daily basis, I thought I could naturally cut down on that Christmas newsletter. After all, I've clued you all in on the most important developments of my life here. Why do I need to repeat it on some fancy Christmas stationery? So, when I hit the holiday season of my first blog year, I pretty much went down to a one-page newsletter and simply pointed everybody to a blog link. You have no idea the negative reaction that received. What am I? A word machine? Keep in mind that this sucker is free. Where can you find this kind of merriment on a daily basis? And you want extra at Christmas time?? How about a tip for the service I am providing? Like your mailman. Your newspaper delivery guy. Your housekeeper. The man who picks up your garbage. Okay, I actually went one too far. One might counter that the last reference might be too easily linked to my blog.

It will take me a while to learn how to upload pictures and all those other do-hickeys on my computer. And I am sure that, at some point very early on, I will write a completely captivating entry only to lose it in cyberspace. Actually, the picture loading got pretty easy. Recently, however, they have moved some shit around the site to make it more difficult. Loading more than one picture into a single entry has become Michelle Obama-like. Yep, a bitch. And, as for losing one whole entry, yes, I did. Twice.

I will have to learn not to vent on anyone I know personally, as they could potentially read it and stop sending me Christmas cards. And, true to my vow, I never have ripped on somebody I know. No, wait, yes, I did. And I was the one who stopped sending Christmas cards. So, there!

Will this be a politically correct forum? I see no hands raised. That's good. It means you have been paying attention to me all these years. I've actually been even more politically incorrect than I thought I could be. I am wondering how easy it will be to maintain a daily blog while imprisoned in a concentration camp buried deep in the bowels of South Chicago.

Fo

r instance, if I wanted to comment on "American Idol", you will not be surprised if I refer to that Sanjaya guy in terms that will signify his heritage from a God-forsaken country in this world where the flies are bigger than the meal on your plate. By the way, I now understand how that kid is surviving from week-to-week when he sounds like Rose Kennedy doing a cabaret act in Vegas. All his calls have been outsourced. If he somehow goes the distance, I am guessing the first contract he will sign is with Dell Computers. And I am thinking he has tons of support in this country. Go into any Seven-11 when they open up the Idol phone lines and tell me if the counter help isn't on a cell phone at the time. And there it is, folks. The very first politically incorrect comment in Len Speaks. Granted the reference is now very dated. Sanjaya?? Really??? But I was letting you know right from the get-go that there would be no restrictions here. Hopefully, you have all realized by now that I am an equal opportunity offender. The only folks in the public eyes that are off limits to my lampooning are those that I have direct association with. Like ________. And_________. Oh, yeah, and ___________.

Voila......c'est le blog pour Thursday, March 15, 2007. That's pretty much the sum total of what I remember from nine years of French class. That and...."ou est la salle de bains?"

Thanks for reading. As soon as I get sufficiently liquored up, I'll start on the next 1000 posts.

Dinner last night: It was Thanksgiving. You're kidding, right?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congrats on #1,000, another blog milestone.

Even those of us lucky enough to live on the Left Coast and see you regularly (dinner, movies, Dodger games, Hollywood Bowl concerts) enjoy your written words.

The blog definitely captures your unique voice. It's just like talking to you.

Blog on!