Friday, December 12, 2014

Your Weekend Movie Guide for December 2014

T'is the season to remember what Radio City Music Hall used to be like.   A great movie and a 45 minute stage show with the Rockettes doing their toy soldier routine and some goats and sheep wandering on to meet the baby Jesus.

Now that's entertainment.

Radio City Music Hall now does no movies and a 90 minute stage show with the same stuff as above.   Plus a lot of canned music.  Personally, I'd like a movie, please.

So, with the holiday fare being unleashed by Hollywood, we have to resort to the local multiplexes for our fix.  Let's see what we have to wade through this Yuletide season.  You know the drill, folks.   I'll sift through the LA Times movie pages and give you my gut reaction to what we have to deal with.

And trust me.  You don't get the Rockettes at your local AMC.

Wild: Reese Witherspoon takes a hike.   Which is what I think Ryan Philippe told her to do.  Seen it.  Review coming.

Black Or White:   Kevin Costner fights for custody of his bi-racial grandchild.  And he thought he had a tough fight with those wolves.

Exodus - Gods and Kings:   Well, that's one way to get those tablets out of Charlton Heston's cold, dead hands.

The Imitation Game:  Seen it.  Review coming.  Just know that it's a movie for people with a brain.   Unlike...

Dumb and Dumber To:  Your honor, the prosecution rests.

Horrible Bosses 2:   Call me.  I've got a dilly if you want to make Horrible Bosses 3.

The Theory of Everything.   One more time.   Seen it.  Review coming.   Also know that it's a movie for people with a brain.  Unlike...well, what else has Jim Carrey got out right now?

Whiplash;   Reviewed here.  One of my top five movies of the year.   See it and love booing J.K. Simmons every chance you get.   The most hated man ever on film.

Nightcrawler:  Reviewed here in the past.   A monster movie with no monster.  A great look at how far our media has fallen.

Six Dance Lessons in Six Weeks: Gena Rowlands and her young dance instructor.   She's obviously angling for a meet and greet with Tom Bergeron.

Big Hero 6:  You're better off going to Subway for their $4.99 hero.

Top Five:  Chris Rock as a comic trying to be a serious actor.   Which is what Chris Rock is doing here.  

St. Vincent:  I bet you're getting tired of this.  Reviewed here.   Another of my top five films for 2014.  Wonderful performances all around.

Rosewater:   Jon Stewart directs.  Three words that will keep me out of any theater.

The Homesman:  Tommy Lee Jones, Hilary Swank and Meryl Streep out in the wild west.   It's about some pioneer women who went nuts.  That's what happens when you can't reheat things with a microwave.

A Girl Walks Home at Night:   And meets a Jew, a Protestant, and a priest on the way.

Fury:   Lousy reviews made me pass on this WWII epic.  Sorry, Dad.

Foxcatcher:   Reviewed last Tuesday.   You have a short memory.  This is one that you skip saying "tally ho."

Interstellar:   I hear it's wonderful to look at.  Which is code for saying "there's no freaking story."

Birdman:   Reviewed here.   I'm still waiting to hear your thoughts because I'm still lost.

Isn't It Delicious:  A New England family deals with cancer.   I see this name amongst the cast and reminds me of the old joke.  Keir Dullea, Gone Tomorrow.

The Hunger Games - Mockingjay Part 1:   Sorry, all you fans.  I am not with you.

Penguins of Madagascar:  If you're mad at gas cars, try a hybrid.

Still Alice:   Julianne Moore gets early dementia.  In the movie, I mean.   I hear otherwise she's fine.

Citizenfour:  A documentary about that NSA leaker Edward Snowden.  Here's a secret I will share with you.  Not interested.

The Babadook:  I have no clue what this movie is about, but the title word sounds like something Tony Soprano would say.

Miss Julie:  In 1880s Ireland, a woman interlocks with her father's valet.   It features Jessica Chastain, Colin Farrell, and me not within a ten mile radius.

National Galley:   A three-hour-plus documentary about art work.  Kill.  Me.  Now.

Inherent Vice:   Paul Thomas Anderson's latest bizarro look at the 70s.   Martin Short is in it, so I suppose you will be seeing my review at some point.

Magician - The Astonishing Life and Work of Orson Welles:  I saw the trailer and it looks fascinating.  I'm in.

Aftermath:   I had Social Studies.

Archaeology of a Woman:  I really dig her.   Ha ha.

Before I Disappear:   Some young troubled guy tries to commit suicide.  Yes, I know.  The holidays can be tough.

Dinner last night:  Hamburger at Urbo Kitchens.



 

No comments: