Thursday, January 8, 2015

Click On Nothing

We all get these.   In the world of e-mails being the primary form of contact, we are now inundated with junk e-mail from places we do business with.

Or sometimes not.  Because in the scary world of 2015, this is just one more way for the crooks to...well...crook us.

I got the e-mail above.  Now I haven't been in a Costco for about a year, so I know it's a fake.   But I think about the people who were there last week and just might have ordered something.

You know if you click where they tell you to, your life will come apart.

I get e-mails like this regularly.   From places I do associate with.   Amazon.   Chase Bank.   Citibank.   By being on-line, your world can be easily pieced together electronically.  Your every step can be re-traced.   

Now I know damn well that, if there really was a problem with my bank account, I have it set up with Chase and Citibank that they will contact me by phone, not e-mail.   You should do the same.

When I get these strange notifications from Amazon, I just ignore them.  Most of them come when I don't have an outstanding order.   But, even if I did, I would immediately spam the message.  Trust nothing.

Where is this record of your life get?   How do the folks at Internet Scam University get their hands on it?  How the hell do we get around this?  I mean, shouldn't we be trusting individuals?

Er, no.  

As the title of today's piece says, click on nothing.  Don't depend upon anything you might find on the internet.

Unless, of course, you read it in Len Speaks.

Dinner last night:  Had a big lunch, so just an English muffin with melted mozzarella.

No comments: