Friday, June 12, 2015

Your Weekend Movie Guide for June 2015

A glorious color photo of days gone by.  I never got to visit the Roxy Theater in Manhattan.   It was situated on the corner of 50th Street and Seventh Avenue, one block away from Radio City Music Hall.   It essentially had the same format as that showplace.   A big new movie plus a Rockette-less stage show.  These days, this whole corner is populated with franchise restaurants you can usually find in your mall's food court.

June also signifies the beginning of the summer, where folks would seek out what was playing at the Roxy.   Partly because you knew it was going to be great entertainment and partly because the penguin on the banner outside said it was "kool inside."

Where will we be going to get out of the heat?   Well, let's see what nonsense Hollywood has planned for us this June.  You know the routine, gang.  I'll sift through the entertainment pages of the LA Times and give you my knee-jerk reaction to the junk out there.

Well, at least, it is kool inside.

Tomorrowland:  It died at the box office yesterday.

Hot Pursuit:  Reese Witherson and Sofia Vergara team up in an unlikely pairing.   Even more unlikely?  Me seeing this movie.

Pitch Perfect 2:   I saw the original but friends tell me the sequel is a complete mess.

Poltergeist:  Why are they HERE?

Entourage:  I hear it's strictly for fans of the TV show.  That would be me.

Wild Horses:  Robert Duvall stars and directs this story about a Texas Ranger opening up a missing person case from the past.  I assume that's Texas Ranger as in law enforcement as opposed to baseball.

Aloha:  Cameron Crowe's long-awaited next film is supposedly incoherent. So,
that's the best he could do in ten years?

San Andreas:   Reviewed here recently.  Laughably stupid.

Insidious Chapter 3:   Oh, damn, I missed Chapters 1 and 2.

Far From The Madding Crowd:  The latest adaptation of Thomas Hardy's novel and....ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.

Love and Mercy:  All about the Beach Boys' conflicted Brian Wilson, who is played by two different actors.  Huh?

Spy:  I would rather drink tincture of iodine before I see a Melissa McCarthy movie.

Ex Machina:  It's been on my three past monthly movie guides so kudos for being persistent to stay out there.

Mad Max - Fury Road:  When I announced last month that I had never seen the originals, I was virtually flogged on the internet.  PS, I still haven't.

Madame Bovary:  The legendary French tale that....ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.

Live From New York:   An allegedly thorough documentary on the long running show.   So if it's thorough, we'll meet all the drug dealers that have been supplying the stars all these years?

Me and Earl and the Dying Girl:   Quick way to box office doom?  Put the word "dying" in the title.

Jurassic World:   The latest installment and yes, I will.  Even if it wasn't directed by Spielberg.

Vendetta:  Dean Cain as a detective tracking down his wife's killer.  Death Wish 2015.

The 11th Hour:  Kim Basinger as a business executive keeps having miscarriages.  See what marriage to Alec Baldwin will do to you.

Hungry Hearts:  A young mother shields her child from outside the world.   Take this from somebody who's out there, good move.

Avengers - Age of Ultron:  Still out there.  Still not seeing it.

I'll See You in My Dreams:  Review coming.   First movie I've seen that was partially funded by Kickstarter.

Results:  A recent divorcee is miserable and gets mixed up with a gym rat and an acerbic trainer.  There will be no results at the box office.

In the Name of My Daughter:  Catherine Deneuve on the French Riviera in the 70s.   When she was really hot.

Dawn Patrol:  Scott Eastwood as a surfer whose brother is killed.  Go ahead and make my day Junior.

Club Life:  All about the kids populating the club scene in NY.  A great way to discover why I am worried about this country's future.

Freedom:  Cuba Gooding Jr. as a slave who escapes via the Underground Railway.  Good news:  Oprah's surprisingly not in this.

The Fourth Noble Truth:  An A-list movie star is busted from road rage and seduces his driving instructor.  There is nobody at the DMV that I want to be with.

The 100-Year-Old Man Who Climbed out the Window and Disappeared:  The title tells us the whole movie.  Done.

When Marnie Was There:  Hitchcock's Marnie was there in 1964.

Dinner last night:  Sausage and peppers at the uncomfortably steamy Citi Field.

  


No comments: