Thursday, July 14, 2016

The Newest Right of Entitlement

I did a lot of local driving this past weekend.  Down to Long Beach.  Twice to Dodger Stadium.  And, as I was motoring along, I was astounded by what I saw.  
Brazen and abrupt lane changing.  To the point where I almost was the witness to not one, not two, not three, not four but five major accidents.

What the hell?

I don't know what it's like where you live.  But, here in Los Angeles, it's gotten out of control.   And I think there's a bunch of reasons why.   Some pretty basic. Some very philosophical.

First off, I think the abrupt lane changing here is mainly a product of complete stupidity.  Here on the freeways, you have signs telling you what the next three exits are and how far away they are.   If you're smart, you start moving over slowly to your desired exit.

But I have seen people cut from the far left to the far right at the very last moment.  Stupidity?  Yeah, some.   But I also will give you this added element.

People can't read the signs.   

Yes, we're in a society now where you are not necessarily encouraged to learn and adapt to the language of the country.   There are so many accommodations made for folks not to learn English.  You press 2 for Spanish.   You press 3 for Chinese.   I once went to an ATM where English itself was not even the first choice!

So when you actually invite this kind of non-assimilation, those folks behind the wheel of a 2013 Lexus don't really know that the last freeway sign said "Hawthorne Blvd.  2 1/2 Miles."  I mean, how could they?

But, as I said, there's a little something deeper going on than people not adapting to basic English reading skills.   Nope, I think there's a gross sense of entitlement out there which is growing more sinister by the day.

Look at the clowns around you.   I can do anything I want.  Nothing will happen to me.  If you don't like what I am doing, see my lawyer.   I have a right to act in any way which I want.

Extend that principle to the road and you are seeing what can occur as a result.

It's even worse when your state government promotes this behavior.  Here in California, motorcycle riders are allowed to shoulder all lanes and ride in between cars on the freeway.  I've seen several accidents happen when drivers had to maneuver at the last minute to avoid hitting one of these Easy Riders.   But what do you expect from a state where the current governor is some burnt-out hippie from the 60s?

Come on, gang.   Look around.   You know I'm right about this.

Honk if you agree.

Dinner last night:  Barbecue chopped salad with bacon.

No comments: