Tuesday, September 19, 2017

The Emmy Awards at Hyper Speed

I used to love to watch the Emmys.   That was back in the day when I watched a lot more television than I do now.  Since I'm now spending more time revisiting old classics on Hulu, I secretly hope that this year's awards were cleaned up by the likes of the Mary Tyler Moore Show, Frasier, and the Golden Girls.   Oh, wait, they won a lot of Emmys back in the day?   Well, it would be fun to relive those moments.

So, long story short, I had zero interest in this year's Emmy telecast.   I knew it would be heavy on the political commentary and, frankly, I don't like my leisure time infiltrated with a lot of preaching.   Given that the grossly unfunny Stephen Colbert was hosting, I knew this would be a tough watch.   Plus the Dodgers were playing on ESPN's Sunday Night Baseball.   Easy choice.   So I did the Dodgers live and taped the Emmys.   The fast forward button would be my friend.

And, boy oh boy, it sure was.  Once the Dodgers were out of the game, I clicked on the Emmys to start and pointed my remote control at the TV like an FBI agent on a stakeout.

Okay, Stephen Colbert's monologue.   I didn't hear a single word and I sped by so fast that I didn't even know that Sean Spicer made a cameo appearance till the next morning.

Pointless banter between presenters?   Fast forward.

An Emmy to a supporting actress in a drama I never heard of.   Fast forward.  

Acceptance speech by some actor in a comedy I never heard of.   "I am so thankful for everybody that was on this journey with me."   Okay, it was an acting gig.  You were not lost in the Congo for days.  Fast forward.

In between my zipping around the Emmys, I fell victim to the guy who was doing the announcing of the whole evening.   The asshole is pictured above. He's Jermaine Fowler on CBS' Superior Donuts and...that's right...I have never watched it.  As winners mounted the stage to get their gold, Fowler was screaming into the microphone some ad libbed and terribly unfunny factoids about the award.   How the hell did this happen?   He sounded like the newest clerk at Walmart trying to get a price check over the loudspeaker.

Now I slowed down my fast forwarding to hear just how bad this clown was.   And began to wonder what he was doing there.

Oh, wait.   CBS had been hit with some charges of not having that much diversity in their prime time fare.  So, this is how they get out from under that rock.  By having some dope hijack TV's biggest night with inane stupidity.   I hit the fast forward button again as I contemplated our country's slippage down the rabbit hole just a little further.

The only other part of the evening that I watched was the usual "In Memoriam" segment to TV folks who have died in the last year.   Again, they semi-ruined this as the tendency now is to have some half-baked singer do their American Idol audition behind the scroll of dead people.   Yawn.

I have no recollection of who won or who said what or who made a fool of him or herself.   But I watched the Emmys.

In 26 minutes!  Not my personal best.   But I will try harder next year.

Dinner last night:  Leftover sausage and peppers.

No comments: