Friday, September 22, 2017

Your Weekend Movie Guide for September 2017

Sixty years ago this month, "The Pajama Game" was the big attraction at the beloved Radio City Music Hall or, as it is called, "the ideal place for the best show on screen and stage."

Amen.

Meanwhile, back in 2017, what junk can we find at our local movie houses?   Well, you know the monthly drill, sports fans.   I'll glance through the entertainment pages of the Los Angeles Times and give you my gut reaction to what Hollywood is turning out for us this month.

Probably a good time to put on those pajamas and go to bed.

It:   Not.

Home Again:   Reese Witherspoon stars in a romcom that I hear is cute.   From all women, of course.

American Assassin:   I was in a theater last week and they had no room for the whole title so it simply said "American Ass."   Now that I would see.

Mother!:  I hear this is one of the worst reviewed movies in film history.   That's saying a lot when you consider it's not as good as "Beach Blanket Bingo."

The Nut Job 2 - Nutty by Nature:   No, this is not a documentary about the guy running Korea.

The Hitman's Bodyguard:   Samuel L. Jackson is in it which no theaters running it will have any air.

Leap:  Best friends Félicie and Victor hatch a plan to escape from their rural orphanage in 19th-century France.  This is an animated feature and clearly a far cry from the Road Runner dropping an anvil on Wile E. Coyote.

The Emoji Movie:  😒.

Annabelle - Creation:   No clue.

Brad's Status:   Reviewed here this week.   Try it.   Might be the best movie out there right now.

First They Killed My Father:   Waiting for the sequel "Then They Raped My Cat."

Tulip Fever:   I've been taking pills.   I won't catch this.

Wind River:   Murder amongst Native Americans.   I hear good buzz.   A Len maybe.

Logan Lucky:   A heist movie directed by Stephen Soderbergh which sounds promising and it stars Channing Tatum which sounds unpromising.

The Big Sick:   You still haven't seen what I think might be one of my favorite movies so far this year???

Battle of the Sexes:   In theaters this weekend.   Emma Stone as Billie Jean King and Steve Carell as Bobby Riggs.   Spoiler alert...she wins.

Big Bear:  A bachelor party gone wrong.   Don't they all?

Boston:  A documentary about the bombing at the 2013 Boston Marathon. Another documentary on my list.

Stronger:  Jake Gyllenhaal as a man severely injured in the 2013 Boston Marathon bombing.   I see a pattern.

Shot:  A man is accidentally shot by the teenager next store.  Law suit!!!

Scareycrows:  Somebody's friends start to disappear one by one.   I love the concept.

The Lego Ninjago Movie:  You lost me at Lego.

Kingsman - The Golden Circle:   I see billboards all over town.   That still doesn't tell me what this is all about.

Woodshock:  Don't read that too fast.   It's not the concert.

Welcome to Willits:   Campers are tormented by mysterious creatures.  Some people would call them mosquitoes.

Victoria and Abdul:   Judi Dench as the Queen of England meets  an American Idol former judge?

Friend Request:  Deleted.

Last Rampage:  Escaped prisoners terrorize 1978 Arizona.   As opposed to what is terrorizing 2017 Arizona.

Slipaway:  An elderly lady with a sailboat.   Sometimes just writing the logline is enough.

Happy Hunting:  A drunk preys on drifters in a small town.   If you insist.

Dinner last night:  Hot dog at Pink's.




No comments: