Thursday, September 23, 2021

Let A Smile Be Your Umbrella...Unless It's A Pandemic


I think it was a song.   The title of today's blog, I mean.   

Let a smile be your umbrella.

Always good advice especially when you're out in public.   You get good service from a store clerk.   You reward them with a smile.

A driver lets you cut ahead of him at a left turn.   You smile.   He waves.   

You're in a public situation and a smile can cut through all the bullshit of life.  It is truly our best weapon in a relatively hostile post-pandemic world.

The only trouble is that it's not so "post-pandemic."   We are holding onto COVID restrictions as if it's some sort of badge of honor.

Yes, you still need to wear masks.

Suddenly, you can't convey thanks to that store clerk or that polite driver.  Or anybody really.   Who can really convey their gratitude and thanks when we all look...alike?

Have you wondered if that's the ultimate goal of all this masking?   To turn us all into feeling-less robots going about our business.

You may think I am joking.   But I am not.   If you could see through my mask, you will notice that I am not smiling.

Dinner last night:  Salad.

No comments: