Friday, September 16, 2022

Your Weekend Movie Guide for September 2022


How refreshing.   In this day where movie theaters are shuttering left and right, this single screen house somehow manages to stay open.   And Landmark took the trouble to do a spiffy renovation inside.   I was there last week to see....for the first time ever...."2001: A Space Odyssey."   Okay, the fare was overrated.   But the theater is comfortable....and open.

What's playing at the theater in your nabe that has yet to close down?  You know the monthly drill, gang.  I'll sift through the LA Times and give you my gut reaction to the dreck on the screens.  Just be happy that your favorite cinema is still open for business.

Barbarian:  I'm assuming this is a documentary about Trump?

Bullet Train:  Brad Pitt in an action comedy that I hear is short on both action and comedy.

DC League of Super Pets:  Anything with the letters "DC" are avoided by yours truly.

Brahmastra Part 1 - Shiva:   An action movie about a Jewish funeral?

Beast:   I'm assuming this is another documentary about Trump?

The Invitation:  I saw the word "gothic" in the logline and I stopped reading.

Honk For Jesus - Save Your Soul:  A comedy about a Southern Baptist church.  Do I hear an "amen?"

Thor - Love and Thunder:   No lightning?

Clerks III:  Didn't the first two come out when Clinton was President?

Medieval:  Quickest way to get me to ignore your film?   Put that word in the title.

Breaking:  A Vietnam vet, out of benefit money, robs a bank and holds people hostage.   I am guessing he is portrayed as a hero.

Gigi and Nate:  Your basic love story of a quadriplegic and his monkey.

God's Country:   I doubt He still wants it.

Running the Bases:  A baseball movie about a small town coach who moves to work at a bigger high school.   The cast list featured no recognizable names.

See How They Run:  A murder in a 1950 West End London theater company.  Like Steve Martin and Martin Short, I like a good killing.

Pearl:  How Pearl became the vicious killer in "X."   Whatever that was.

Confess, Fletch: The 80's detective returns but with Jon Hamm replacing Chevy Chase.   An automatic upgrade.

The Silent Twins:  A true story about twin sisters who only communicated with each other.   Sort of Hayley Mills on xanax.

Dinner last night:  Salad.



No comments: