Friday, December 15, 2023

Your Holiday Weekend Movie Guide - December 2023

 

T'is the season.  Presents under the tree.  Clothes that don't fit.  Relatives you don't want to see.   And movie releases from the grinches in Hollywood.  This is the time of the year they put out the Oscar bait.   And lots of other junk.

You know the monthly drill, gang.  I'll drift through the movie releases and give you my knee-jerk, gut reaction to what's offering stale egg nog this Christmas. Trust me.   There is a lot of "bah, humbug" out there.

Poor Things:  Lots of Oscar buzz around this and I do love anything Emma Stone does.  But the trailer looks damn confusing.

Godzilla Minus One:   Unlike the wedding I went to where the invitation said "Godzilla Plus One."

The Boy and the Heron:  About...wait for it...a boy and a heron.

Waitress: The Musical:  They essentially filmed a Broadway show for the big screen.   I wish they would do this more often.

Renaissance - A Film By Beyonce:  Avoidance - A Suggestion by Len.

The Hunger Games - The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes:  No heron?

Napoleon:   I hear this is a bad piece of French pastry.

Wish:  I ignore most Disney releases.  Just sayin'.

Eileen:  A woman who works in a prison.  Co-starring Anne Hathaway.   Neither statement gets me in the theater.

Saltburn:  Reviewed here recently.  A sleazy reboot of "The Talented Mr. Ripley."

Trolls Band Together:  So do Democrats.

Wonka:   Another unnecessary remake.   Hollywood...where no original ideas exist.

The Holdovers:   I hear good things but it sounds like I am waiting for a living room stream.

Maestro:  Blog review coming.   No Sominex needed when you see it.  I mean the film, not the review.

Priscilla:  All about Mrs. Elvis.  That's a maybe from moi.

All of Us Strangers:   I hear Oscar buzz about this gay romance.   Paul Mescal is in it and I really like his work.

Immediate Family:  A 70s version of the fabulous documentary "The Wrecking Crew."   All about back-up musicians that worked for the likes of James Taylor and Carole King.   Sounds like a good watch...and listen.

The Iron Claw:  About the Von Erich wrestling family and I actually remember them from my days watching the sport with my grandmother.

The Marvels:  My record is still intact.  I won't go to a comic book movie.

Oppenheimer:   Back in theaters for an Oscar push.   For those folks who missed it the first time...like me.

Dinner last night:  Prime rib at the Dodgers holiday party.



 

No comments: