Sunday, October 21, 2007

My Top 25 Favorite Films: #24!



Some movies are clearly a product of their era. There is no film that is more keenly a reflection of the quiet and demure Fifties than "Pillow Talk" from 1959.

One could make the argument that this movie invented the "chick flick." Maybe so. But, this is an absolutely delectable 90 minutes of sheer ridiculousness. And it gets more and more silly each time I see it. At the same time, when I finally saw it on a big screen several years ago (after multiple TV viewings) at the Alex Theater in Pasadena, the place was packed. And nobody caught stop laughing.

Where else but in the world of Doris Day and Rock Hudson could a 30 plus year-old career woman be still saving herself for the right guy? The hell with Steve Carell and his 40 year-old virgin nonsense. Doris takes the honors for keeping the store closed as long as she did. With style, elegance, and fashions that only producer Ross Hunter could find out of the Universal Studios wardrobe department.

Thanks to today's technology, the story is incredibly dated. A case of mistaken identities as a result of two people sharing a party line. When I saw it with a live audience, I actually heard a father explain that whole concept to a rather confused teenager. I guess if this were remade today, Doris and Rock would be slugging it out on My Space. But, indeed, regardless of the now virtually ancient plotline, any remake could never come close to the sheer brilliance of this script, which won an Oscar for screenplay. The dialogue crackles as the actor have fun with a plot that they must know deep down is ludicrous.

In retrospect, it's hilarious to watch "Pillow Talk" now that we are all fully aware of Rock Hudson' sexual orientation. Because, for a good deal of the movie, he pretends to be a man who is very fond of sharing recipes, etc.---you know "the sensitive kind." Wink, wink. Nobody in the moviegoing audience knew it then, but I am sure everybody in the cast and crew got their jollies as Rock sunk his teeth into those scenes, which are utterly inane and believable at the same time.

Amongst the all important supporting players, Tony Randall lays the groundwork with seeds that will eventually sprout to his portrayal of Felix Unger eleven years later. And no one does "drunk housekeeper" better than Thelma Ritter. I wish my cleaning lady would show up bombed once in a while just so I can have the same razor sharp repartee Thelma shares with Doris.

All throughout the movie, the pastel colors prevail. The wardrobe is luscious. And, above all, there is laughter.
Not bad for a world that really doesn't exist.
But should.
Dinner last night: Actually breakfast. French toast at Dupar's.




7 comments:

Anonymous said...

My #24 is "Basic Instinct." Excellent script and cinematography, but most importantly the best use of an ice pick in any movie I've ever seen.

Len said...

Never saw it...in more ways than one.

Anonymous said...

My #24 is "The Three Stooges Do Sharon Stone." Moe and Larry are ancient and Sharon is horrified but the show must go on. Doris Day turned down the part. There wasn't enough gauze.

Len said...

No fair peaking, Anonymous. That one comes in a little higher on my list.

Anonymous said...

Just to clarify what I told Len before...

My top 25 are movies that actually exist and that I have actually seen(no knock intended on Mr. Anon here).

I have 23 more to go and each will be a gem.

Wow...Doris Day and not enough gauze....I need to go floss my brain.

Anonymous said...

My Top 25 exist, too. Hasn't the the Bibster been to the movies?

Anonymous said...

Speaking of great ice pick movies...let's hear it for "Goodfellas."