Sunday, October 7, 2007

Pop Stars That I Have Known, Part 4


Yes, that is Barbra Streisand. And you bet I did!
I'm fuzzy on the exact date, but it was long before she wound up with that load, James Brolin. At the time, I believe she was having a well-publicized fling with tennis star Andre Agassi.
The company I used to work for had great nightly seats for the US Open tennis matches at the site of the old World's Fair. I used to always try and score tickets for a match or two, and pretend I was a billionaire from Greenwich, Connecticut. Well, this year, I invited a good friend and I do remember we actually discussed whether we would run into Barbra.
At some point, I wound up in male purgatory. That's what I call it when you're waiting for a woman to get out of the bathroom. Just standing idly. Wondering why it always takes them longer.
I remember turning to peer in another direction. Streisand turned the corner and was about two feet from me. One of those moments when your eyes lock with a stranger's. Except this was no stranger to me. This was Barbra Streisand.
Me: "Hey, how are you doing?"
Yes, that was the best I could come up.
Barbra: "I'm very well, thanks. Enjoy the match."
She continued on our way. It was over. An interchange that lasted less than 10 seconds.
Of course, the more delicious part of the event came less than a minute later, when my friend and super Barbra fan emerged from the bathroom.
Me: "I just saw Streisand."
Her: "Liar."
Me: "No, she was just here."
Her: "Shut up."
She never did believe me.
Years later, she'll probably read this and still not buy it.
Tough. I talked to Barbra Streisand.
Dinner last nightL proscuitto and mozzarella panini from Fabiolus.

















1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The Rosemary Clooney moment is nicer.