Tuesday, October 30, 2007

A Blog Post Come True



Who knew that one of my recent blog posts would turn out to be so prophetic?

You might remember that, when I hit Post # 200, I celebrated by doing a faux interview with James Lipton of "Inside the Actor's Studio" fame. You know the kind. One of those Bernard Pivot things. Blah, blah, blah.

Well, yesterday, American Airlines accorded me a rate upgrade into business class for my return flight to Los Angeles from New York. And it didn't take me long to figure out that I was indeed sitting two rows behind Mr. Lipton himself. I noticed him a couple of times when he stood to get something out of the overhead. (Note to all: He is short.) Of course, he captivated my attention when I kept seeing him doing some sort of repetitive motion with his hands. Either he was constantly wringing them with exasperation. Or perhaps he was crocheting a blanket for the baby. With the dinner tray open in front of him, he was instantly recognizable, even without the pile of index cards.

Let's move forward several hours later. I am at LAX's AA Baggage Claim Area # 4. I waiting for my suitcase. Simultaneously, I am juggling my two carry-ons as well as my Black Berry. And, certainly not for the first time, I dropped my Black Berry onto the floor. And, definitely not for the first time, my reaction is the same.

"F % C #!"

I was loud enough to startle those around me. The one who jumped the most was Mr. Lipton, who happened to be standing right alongside me. As I bent down to retrieve the apparatus, we made eye contact. I rarely get this clever this quickly. Noting his stare, I could only say one thing.

"And, yes, that is my favorite curse word."

I got a hearty chuckle back.

I assume I'll never see him again. But, then, they certainly have lowered the standards of that program. Who knows? He might include me as a guest...right after they salute Clint Eastwood's pool cleaner.

Dinner last night: The salad bar from Gelson's.

No comments: