Friday, August 1, 2008

Crow on Rye


When I was at the Dodger game last Tuesday night, I had a larger than normal plethora of idiots around me. And they were all salivating at the rumors of the Red Sox' conflicted slugger Manny Ramirez coming to the Dodgers. I inexplicably got into the conversation, lowering my tolerance of morons by several degrees.

"They'll never pay the price."

"He will not be worth the trouble."

"The guy is an absolute screwball."

Well, the screwball arrives at Dodger Stadium tonight and I will be seated in Loge 144, Row G, Seat 1 to witness the circus.

But, ultimately, I didn't have to swallow that hard on my words. The Dodgers are basically renting him for two months. And the price was one prospect who was flaming out and another I never heard of. But, there are some other things that my little mind needs to process before he gets here.

No doubt about it, Manny is a jerk. With the goofy doo rag and the Bob Marley dreds down his back. What a freakin' mess. But, he can hit 30 home runs a year and, right now, all the Dodgers with the clean cut hair styles don't do that.

I am thinking that he will simply hit like the devil for two months and be on super good behavior because he is on a major salary drive.

I am thinking that Joe Torre and coach Don Mattingly will be able to handle him, since they dealt with their own share of bloated egos in Yankee Stadium.

I am thinking how Manny will deal with being reunited with his old Boston friends, Nomar Garciaparra and Derek Lowe.

I am thinking how the ultra redneck Jeff Kent deals with Manny, but I am also thinking that Jeff knows this is the best way he gets to the playoffs one last time before he retires. And, as Vin Scully reminded me last night, Jeff and Manny actually played together years ago when both were starting out on the Cleveland Indians.

I am thinking just how low I am stooping to root for Manny Ramirez, who is not my prototypical baseball player.

I am thinking that, with the recent surge by the Metsies in NY, this might be a stellar post season for one bi-coastal baseball fan.

I am thinking I can manage it all if I get to sit in my great Dodger seats for October baseball.

Go, Manny, go!

See, Len, that wasn't so hard.

Dinner last night: Cervelat on English Muffin.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm looking for runs tonight which have been in short supply. Kooks are welcome to try.