Sunday, October 12, 2008

The Sunday Memory Drawer - Loews Mount Vernon


The Loews Mount Vernon movie theater
This cinema cathedral was the site of my first ever moviegoing experience. My mom took me to the first afternoon showing of "Tom Thumb." Unfortunately, we didn't get far into the movie. I was totally frightened by the dimming of the lights and the opening of the curtain. I screamed mercilessly, which was a bigger problem given that there was nobody else in the theater and the echoes had to be piercing. Disgusted, my mother dragged me out into the sunlight. I can still feel her anger as she ripped up the tickets out on Stevens Avenue and flung them into the gutter, waxing loudly about this big waste of money. At the time, the two tickets probably cost no more than $1,50. For several years thereafter, my movie attendance was predicated on start times. If it was the first show of the day, we always entered the theater ten minutes into the movie. Curtain already open. Lights already out. I was a happy little camper.
But, once I got over these phobias, the Loews Mount Vernon (like the RKO Proctor Theater a block away) would be an unbelievable childhood haven. Pronounced inexplicably "low-wees," this was one of these three-level movie palaces that just reeked of opulence. I remember the smoking lounge on the second floor was huge. I remember the smoking lounge mostly because my mother was there mostly.
The magnificent lobby was always full of fun litle gadgets that heralded movies that would be there in "coming weeks." Sometimes, there would be a big display that clicked through View Master-like screen shots of the movie starting next Wednesday. Indeed, I knew by heart the studios that had deals with Loews. They always got the latest films from MGM, Paramount, and Columbia after they came up from "downtown." And always the latest Jerry Lewis offering. When "The Nutty Professor" opened there, Jerry stopped there on a tour of theaters throughout Westchester. I remember watching the movie and then it suddenly stopped. The house lights went up and out bounced Jerry for about 2 minutes tops. Then, he left, but still it was exciting for me and my little friends since the only other celebrity we saw in Mount Vernon was TV Kiddie Host Claude Kirschner at the opening of a bank.
When I was old enough (probably 8 or 9) to venture to the movies by myself, I would spend whole afternoons and days at Loews. I probably saw "Bye Bye Birdie" four or five times in the one week that it played there. For some bizarre reason, I became entranced with the movie "Jumbo" and devoured that a few times over a weekend. After all, once you were in the theater, you could stay all day right through the double feature and then over again. This theater was also where I experienced the Beatles for the first time. Yep, I was there for the very first Mount Vernon, New York showing of "A Hard Day's Night."
For a little while, one of my neighborhood chums had a grandfather who was the chief ticket ripper at Loews. Even better, he would let us in without the ticket or the ripping. No matter what was playing, he got us in there. One day, we got the pass and settled in for the movie which made us all incredibly uncomfortable. It was a lot of women and men doing some things we had only heard about in passing whispers. I felt so dirty that I left, raising the eyebrows of the elderly ticket taker who actually got pissed that I was throwing back the free entry. My mom asked me why I was home so early. I replied simply that it was something with the Three Stooges and I had seen it already.
Years later, I saw the offending movie on TV. "Walk on the Wild Side." Jane Fonda barely dressed and living in a whorehouse. Uh-huh. So much for Parental Guidance.
Loews Mount Vernon didn't last for too many years after that as it died several years before the city did. It was replaced by a huge parking garage, which is ironic because there is absolutely no reason to go there.
Dinner last night: Lasagna at Miceli's.








4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lennie,

Where was this theater? Was is it on Gramatan Ave or was it near City Hall. I can't tell from the picture.

Gary

Len said...

Loews Mt. Vernon was across the street from City Hall. But this picture looks at the theater from the other side----the side of the theater that overlooked the New Haven RR. This picture was shot from the corner of Fifth Avenue and First Street.

Anonymous said...

Let's not forget the matrons, old crones in white nurse's dresses who were hired only if they hated kids.

"Get your feet off the seats," was snarled at me many times.

What I didn't know then was that matrons were the front line in protecting kids from the pedophiles who lurked in theatres and gravitated to kids with no adult. I had the creepy experience of a grown man sitting near me despite the hundreds of empty seats. Moving immediately usually cooled the situation.

The matron, her snarl and her flashlight, another childhood movie memory.

Anonymous said...

Len, For whatever reason I remember spending more time at the RKO than Low wees. I completely forgot about the manner in which films were released "downtown" and then migrated to the burbs before finishing up in the "the country." Your mention of Claude Kirschner led me to this interesting article. http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=107704
15thavebud