Saturday, October 4, 2008

So What Do I Countdown Now?


It's been a staple here every Sunday. I devise some list of favorites and we count down from # 25 to #1. I've done my Top 25 Favorite Movies and then my Top 25 Favorite TV Shows. So what comes next?
I've had suggestions. My Top 25 Favorite Baseball Players or Games. That's limiting and ultimately boring for a lot of readers. Then we're getting a little too granular. My Top 25 Favorite Songs? My head would explode given that I can remember many a melody but nary a song title. I could go on and on and let it get sillier by the day.
Perhaps I could compile a list of My Top 25 Favorite Friends. Okay, I envision some problems there, especially when you're all surprised to see myself listed at #1.
I thought about what I enjoyed most about the two lists just completed. It was the memory bank that always seemed to be attached to the viewing of a film or the weekly watching of a TV show. That, for me as a writer, was the gold mined each and every week.
So, there we are. Put your socks and gloves back on. No more counting. The new feature? Every Sunday, you will take a look at my memory drawer. Something from the past that resonates with me and hopefully does the same for you. It could be something that happened when I was a kid or something that happened last week. I remember Sunday afternoons would often find me stretched out on my grandmother's couch while she rambled on about something that happened 30 years ago. And that is what I will try to recreate here every Sunday.
And that starts tomorrow when we talk about...my grandmother's pantry.
Dinner last night: Chicken potstickers at Marmalade Cafe.






1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How deliciously wicked - yourself as No. 1 - I'd vote for that! I'm really looking forward to your top 25 memories - perfect for a Sunday afternoon!