Thursday, July 2, 2015

Yay! I Finished Reading Another Book - "I Must Say" By Martin Short

Celebrity memoirs or autobiographies are ideal if you fly a lot between Los Angeles and New York.  Often, you're flying with other celebrities.  You want to look hip.   And the best thing about these books is that you can pretty much finish them in one five-hour flight.

And that's what I did with Martin Short's "I Must Say."  It read so quickly that I was almost done by the time they did the second beverage cart service.  There's no deep message attached.  It's light and breezy and funny.   And, if you're a fan of the author, you've hit reading pay dirt.

Truth be told, I've been a fan of Martin Short since I saw him at a live filming of a sitcom called "The Associates" way too many years ago.  In that episode, Marty got up and did a Judy Garland impression.  It was spot on and hilarious. I thought to myself that I would follow his career path because he was certainly talented.

So I watched him for several years making us laugh on SCTV.  Then, the single year on SNL, which was a classic season in my book.  On to films and Broadway and concerts.  I've seen him in all those venues.  For a while, he was very active on Facebook and I was attached to him there.  I'd get occasional "likes" for my one-liners there.   Talk about being blessed by a pro.

You follow all of Marty's career in his book and there's nothing sleazy or controversial in anything he writes.  He seems like a nice, likable guy and that's probably the way he really is.  Nobody doesn't like Martin Short.  

So, the book won't give you tons of new information or any really juicy gossip. The last third of the tale focuses on his late wife's illness and that's suitably sad because, from his writing, you can tell how much in love they were.  

Once again, it's all very, very nice.

So, if you're on a flight and you want a salacious memoir about Hollywood, Martin Short's book should not be in your bag.   But, if you're a huge fan and you want to learn all about how his life has gone, "I Must Say" is the book for you.  And me.   It's funny and touching and...well...nice.

Reading it, I almost thought that Marty was in Seat 13E right next to me.  Hell, I should be so lucky.

Dinner last night:  Snacks during the day, so nothing really.

No comments: