Friday, July 17, 2015

Your Weekend Movie Guide for July 2015

Back in the 30s and 40s, the greatest selling point for movie theaters during the summer was that they were air conditioned.   And they were not shy about advertising it.   So, folks would come in and sit through a double feature just to beat the heat.

Today, we take this all for granted.   But we still go to the movies during the summer.  And, often, the only reason to go is for the air conditioning.  That's because the cinematic fare of July and August can be very chilling indeed.

You know the drill, gang.   I'll sift through the LA Times entertainment pages and give you my gut reaction to the junk that cluttering our multiplexes.   

Yes, it is "kool inside."   But it also might just be some very lousy entertainment.

Magic Mike XXL:   I don't understand the title to this sequel.  No worries.  No straight guy would be caught dead seeing this.

Ted 2:  I actually Netflixed the first one and was amused.   But I hear this well ran dry pretty darn quickly.

Dope:  A documentary about any politician in our land?

A Little Chaos:   I doubt this has anything to do with Get Smart.

Jurassic World:  Reviewed here recently.  Lots of fun.

Terminator Genisys:  Those of you who wanted Arnold out of office are to blame now.

Me and Earl and The Dying Girl:  Review coming.  Me not a fan.

Minions:  And to think that I thought this was a documentary about the Jewish faith.

Infinitely Polar Bear:  Well, there goes the global warming argument.

Amy:  A documentary about Amy Winehouse.  Spoiler alert: she dies at the end.

Inside Out:  Reviewed here recently.  Pixar has lost its way.

The Wolfpack:  Sounds like all Republicans currently running for President.

Trainwreck:  One of those titles that accurately describe the movie.

Mr. Holmes:  Saw the trailer and it looks interesting.  All about an aging Sherlock Holmes who wants to dispel his myth.

Ant-Man:   Sequel will be "Uncle-Woman."

Irrational Man:  Woody Allen's annual summer release.  Always welcome.

Do I Sound Gay?:  I don't know.  Say that again.

Boulevard:  Robin Williams is listed in the cast.  His last role?  I'm not hearing anything about this.

Lila and Eve:  Starring Viola Davis and Jennifer Lopez.  Oh, my word, no.

An Open Secret:  A documentary about sexual abuse of child actors.  I didn't do it.

Spy:  People are actually telling me they like this Melissa McCarthy comedy. Just to be clear, I'm not listening to any of them.

The Overnight:  Review coming.  Spoiler alert: don't bother.

A Poem is a Naked Person:  I hope this is not about Maya Angelou.

Self/Less:  An old guy transfers his consciousness into a younger body.  Don't we wish?

The Gallows:  A horror movie about a high school play.  Which, in concept, is redundant.

Strangerland:  Must be a new attraction at Disney.

What We Did on Our Holiday:  A dysfunctional family goes on vacation and it sounds like a Sunday Memory Drawer entry I once wrote.

SlingShot:  A documentary about an inventor's quest to solve the world's water crisis.  I hope this gets played in California.

The Stanford Prison Experiment:  A dramatic account about 24 undergraduates who assume the roles of guards and prisoners in a jail.  This really happened in 1971.  The ubiquitous "based on true events."

Dinner last night:  Hamburger on English muffin.

No comments: