Thursday, March 31, 2016

Len's Recipe of the Month - March 2016

In my exhaustive attempt to find content for this blog on a daily basis, welcome to my new monthly feature.   You often see what I had for dinner the night before.   Well, now you can know how I make some of this stuff.

I have gotten into serious cooking of late.  And, while I have been using some noted cookbooks from the likes of Valerie Bertinelli, the Barefoot Contessa, and Giada DeLaurentiis, some of the recipes are so damn good that I have to share.   And I will do it here.

First up is this delicious cucumber salad from the kitchen of Valerie Bertinelli.   It was such a hit on Christmas Day that I have made it several times since.   And it's so easy.   A cool and refreshing side dish that is perfect as a compliment to beef.   Or, as I have found, a tangy turkey or sausage-based chili.   Try it.  You won't be sorry.  It's really Japanese, but you can serve it with a variety of cuisines.

Get yourself a large cucumber or two small ones.   I prefer the English cucumber which has a little better flavor.  Slice it thinly through a mandolin and watch your fingers.

Put the cucumber slices in a bowl covered with cold water and keep it there for about an hour.   This is a move I remember from my grandmother.   The soaking removes a lot of the cucumber acidity.

While the cukes are bathing, mix your dressing together in a bowl.

1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons of rice vinegar.

2 tablespoons low sodium soy saice.

4 teaspoons sugar.

4 teaspoons sesame oil.

Whisk that all together.   Drain the cucumbers and place the slices in a bowl.   Pour the dressing over them.   Fight with some cling wrap and cover the bowl. Put it in the refrigerator to marinate at least for a few hours.   Even better if it's overnight.

Enjoy!

Dinner last night:  Leftover ravioli.

No comments: