Tuesday, March 9, 2021

Another Night on the Couch

 

Because that's where I watch most new movies these days.  On the sofa.   There have been many a recent film that had to be rewound multiple times.  Due to excessive napping during key plot points.   

Oh, how I wish we were back in movie theaters.   I rarely fall asleep there.   The sound of me chewing caramel corn keeps me awake.

So, here we go again.   The drawing card for me and this film, besides the great buzz it has received, was Regina King.   After years of great times toiling on sitcoms and even last year winning an Oscar for "Beale Street," this talented person is directing her first feature length film.

I was hopeful.

The problem with "One Night in Miami" is the source material.  First off, it was a play that confined four characters to a hotel room for an evening of talking and rehashing civil rights issues in the 60s.  Oh, sure, Regina does her best to widen the scope with some outdoor scenes.   But, basically, it's talky.

Eyelids starting to droop.

Now, this is about an evening that never really happened in real life.   Oh, sure, Cassius Clay (he gets his name changed by the end of the picture) did beat Sonny Liston in Miami.   But he was never invited to celebrate that with the likes of football star-turning-actor James Brown, singer Sam Cooke, and activist Malcolm X.   So, the plot is already a stretch.

Yawn.   More eyelid drooping.

The four guys spend the evening arguing and chatting and preaching and...

ZZZZZZzzzzzzz.

Hitting the rewind button, I realize I missed a great number by Cooke as played by Broadway's Leslie Odom Jr..  Okay, this will keep me alert.

And...

Eyelids droop again.

ZZZZZzzzzzzzz.

I revive in time to read the closing title card which is some quote by Malcolm X.

Regina, I'm sure you've got some great directing chops.  But, next time, pick some material that won't.....

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

LEN'S RATING:  Two-and-a-half stars.

Dinner last night:  Leftover Chinese food.






No comments: