Friday, January 2, 2009

My NY Homestead - A Photo Essay

The bi-coastal Len opens up one of the doors where his head hits the pillow. Granted this isn't Jackie Kennedy giving you a tour of the White House. But, still, I thought you might enjoy these snapshots of my second home in Yonkers, New York.

This sign heralds your entry into the complex. Well, we're not exactly on the river's edge. More like we're on a hill that overlooks a major road that runs parallel to the Hudson River. The only thing missing from this entrance is some chump in a Beefeater's costume. Our apartment is in the middle of the Lenoir Nature Preserve and, frequently, you see deer roaming around the parking lot. And, from time to time, you have to slam on your brakes as said deer suddenly dart across the road. Stupid, stupid animals.

Our outdoor pool which used to be quite refreshing during the summer. In the background is the Hudson River and then New Jersey. It's not a lap pool but certainly one that can give you some exercise. Until, of course, some deer darts across your swim lane.

The front of the building and, in the event you didn't see the other sign when you drove in, the complex is called "Riveredge!" We're on the border of Yonkers and Hastings. As a matter of fact, you can sleep in Yonkers at night and then swim in the pool the next morning---and that happens to be in Hastings. Of course, during the winter, neither city's sanitation department wants to claim responsiblity for snow plowing so the building maintenance staff has their own equipment.

I saw this car in the parking lot during my December trip and I couldn't resist. I can never understand people who actually decorate their cars for the holidays. This person is as stupid as that deer who keeps running in front of automobiles entering the complex.

The corridors of the building itself are named North and South Hall, which gives the illusion of academia. After this rather austere look, you're even doubly surprised when you see your fellow neighbors grappling over how to work the washing machines in the laundry room. By the by, I am 4-B.

And, in case, you thought I was lying, this is the door to 4-B. You'll notice the classy hallways. Two days after I bought the place in 1993, we were hit with an assessment to have those halls refurbished. The sellers claimed they didn't know. Uh-huh.

Once you swing open the front door, you are immediately plunged into the living room. It's not a huge place---about 850 square feet. Of course, it's fully furnished as I moved virtually no furniture when I moved to Los Angeles. Always fully loaded on the tech side with cable, DVD, etc.. Frequent readers to this blog already know that I am not normal.

The view from my wraparound terrace, which is amazing during the summer and the fall. And, yes, you frequently see, ahem, deer walking by.

The so-called dining area complete with the kitchen cabinet from my childhood home. My mother always reminded me how expensive it was, so the voices from beyond still prevent me from getting rid of it. Note the clown figurines which also populate much of the apartment. My mother had a clown collection and always reminded me how expensive it was, so....blah, blah, blah.

The galley kitchen which, even Carol Brady would admit, badly needs an updating. The appliances are modern. The countertops are circa Jimmy Carter. I will get around to it as a sprucing up would only jack up a selling price. When I first moved in, the whole apartment needed a makeover. As I am about as handy with a hammer as Stevie Wonder, I needed help. Actually, I needed to hire somebody so I didn't have to lift a finger. At that time, my mother was friendly with some neighbors in her building---a lesbian couple who were the stereotypical handypeople. So, for a month of weekends, I would leave for several movies while this gaggle of four or five lesbians descended upon my place for the extreme makeover. Only I would hire such a contracting crew.

A very small room on the other side of the kitchen has always served me well as an office. Note the laptop is open as I am ready to do one more blog entry for you. As we head over to the other side of the apartment, we will be skipping the bathroom. Trust me. Another upgrade is pending.

Lastly, here is the single bedroom. A nice size and that's my father's recliner. He said it was expensive so...well, you know. You'll notice plants all over the house. My very kind neighbors upstairs also double as caretakers with watering, minor repairs, etc.. They also use my kitchen as an extended baking facility, so I often come home to what smells like the Entenmann's factory. But, I couldn't be bi-coastal without them. And they always make me homemade granola.

Hope you enjoyed this. Watch out for deer crossing.

Dinner last night: Grilled chicken and homemade risotto.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

How cool is this! How do you keep it so clean (re: dust and vacumn)? Do you ever reach for something in one apartment and realize it's on the other coast? When you travel back and forth, do you have to cart clothes, or do you keep two sets of wardrobes?

Len said...

This is not a Hi-Def camera so dust is there but doesn't show up in the pictures. But, if you don't open windows, dust takes a lot longer to form. I clean it up as soon as I get there and also before I leave.

Heavy coats are kept there...I don't need them here. Two suits are there. And I keep some sweat pants and shirts in adrawer. Otherwise, it is all still furnished with plates, silverware, everything.

Unknown said...

You'll probably get a request from one of your readers to move in. No me, cause I am out here, but I do like the views. And I would particularly cherish the deer, as you know.

Anonymous said...

Len,
Thanks for letting us into your East Coast pad. I think I was there once shortly after you moved in.
Who is the US and OUR you refer to? Do you take on a third person pluralistic persona in Yonkers or are you including the deer?
15thavebud

Len said...

Our? I guess I'm writing/speaking on behalf of the entire building. Trust me, nobody else is living in 4B.

I think?

Anonymous said...

How could the pool be in a different town? That's weird.

Len said...

Because the Yonkers-Hastings border runs right between the building and the pool.

Len said...

Because the Yonkers-Hastings border runs right between the building and the pool.

Anonymous said...

Still strange. Maybe the property is several adjacent lots sewn together when the building was built. My pool originally belonged to the private home next door but the landlord bought it from the owner and annexed it for those living in the Deluxe Furnished Barbara Judith. That's my pool story.