Sunday, February 24, 2008

My Top 25 Favorite Films: #6!!


I never ever remember my grandmother going to the movies. In a household that was as cinema-centric as ours was, she never set foot in a movie theater. Her movie going pretty much was confined to her black and white television and she concentrated almost exclusively on Johnny Weissmuller's Tarzan and Warner Oland's Charlie Chan.

And, of course, Stan Laurel and Oliver Hardy.

I grew to love these two classic comedians by watching them on television with my grandmother. She would laugh out loud at the same antics no matter how many times she saw them. And those viewings also included some rare memories. Because, indeed, my grandmother did go out to the movies in her lifetime. But only to see Stan and Ollie.

My grandmother talked about seeing them in a variety of Bronx moviehouses. She frequently talked about an open-air movie theater in some park where you could go every night and see a film projected on somebody's tenement wall. Oh, she mentioned Chaplin a bit as well. But, most of the movie memories circulated around two very distinctly shaped derby hats.

So, while I didn't inherit much monetarily from her, a love of Laurel and Hardy was undoubtedly a much greater gift. There are folks that sneer at them with an over-emphasis on silly slapstick. I will contend, however, that those same people have never seen one of their feature films. Of those movies, "Sons of the Desert" is clearly the best. It's so good that it sparked the creation of a worldwide Stan and Ollie fanclub bearing the same name.

"Sons of the Desert" features a standard plot that has been used by every possible medium for years. Two guys trying to sneak off to a convention without telling their shrewish wives. But, in this movie, it unfolds in such a clever way that it's almost like you're seeing the plot for the very first time. What really sparkles, beyond the usual clumsiness, is the dialogue. I am betting people are surprised just how funny Laurel and Hardy can be without getting physical. Watch this clip for instance:





"Sons of the Desert" is a comedy treasure that is perfectly crafted at about 1 hour and 15 minutes. There is not a wasted frame in the movie. It explains to me clearly why my grandmother loved them so.

And it also explains to me why my grandfather was never ever able to sneak off to a convention.

Dinner last night: French Dip at the Arclight.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The actress in this clip was the perfect foil for Stan and Ollie. Too bad she didn't work with them more. Same was true for Joan Davis with Abbott and Costello. And enough can't be said for Kathleen Howard's several turns as Mrs. W.C. Fields. The boys could play with the girls if they were the right girls.