Tuesday, April 15, 2008

This is the Bibster's Colon



Well, not exactly. But what follows is the Bibster's voice and he wanted to "open" up here today about his first ever colonscopy last weekend. A public service to those of you who have yet to make this very smart decision about your health and well being. So, take it away, Bibster...

As a further public service to a post Len made a few months ago, I want to urge the readers of this blog who are age appropriate to make an appointment for a colonoscopy ASAP. I went for my first ever colonoscopy this past weekend and honestly… it was a piece of cake.

My mother-in-law died last December from stage four colon cancer that had spread to her liver. She was very good about going to the doctor regularly for her heart and blood pressure, but she never went for a colonoscopy until she had a tumor in her colon. Until that point I was one of those people who said “yeah, I’ll do it one of these days.” After seeing how she had to live her final few months, and knowing that this disease is preventable, I decided that “one of these days” had arrived.

I should preface this story by saying I had NEVER been under anesthesia before. I have NEVER had to spend a night in a hospital either….not that I did in this case, but I’m trying to say that I am not used to having medical procedures.

The preparation is not as bad as I had expected. I had my “last meal” Thursday night, and Friday I subsisted on a vanilla yogurt for breakfast, chicken broth for lunch and dinner, and lots of water and Gatorade throughout the day. For a week prior to the procedure I could not eat anything containing nuts or seeds, and for two days it was no fruits and/or vegetables.

At 5PM Friday I took four Dulcolax tablets. At 7PM I drank 10 ounces of Citrate of Magnesium, and ten more ounces at 9PM (note: each Doctor seems to have his/her own method of preparation. Yours may be slightly or dramatically different).

Yes, I was in the bathroom frequently, mostly between 8:30 and midnight. I also had to go twice during the night and a couple more times when I woke up at 8:00 Saturday morning.

Then it was off to the doctor’s office at 9:30. I signed some forms and put on a gown, and by 9:40 I was on the table. The anesthesiologist put oxygen in my nose and told me he would be connecting my IV and I would be asleep in a minute or so. I looked at my watch. It was 9:45.

The next thing I knew my eyes were open and I was about to say “Hey, I’m still awake” when I heard the Doctor say, “OK, we’re all done.” I looked at my watch. It was 10:06.

The nurses helped me to a sitting up position, gave me some apple juice, and told me to get my bearings. After about ten minutes, they moved me to a chair and told me I could get dressed when I felt up to it.

About five minutes later I got dressed and was on the way home. The only thing a little bit off was that for about an hour I felt like if I tipped my head all the way back I might fall over. But why would I tip my head all the way back?

On the pain scale, with 1 being no pain at all and 10 being a lot of pain, I give this a “2.” And the only reason I give it a “2” instead of a “1” is that when the nurse ripped my IV Band-Aid off she pulled a lot of my arm hair with it.

The results were just was I was hoping for: a clean slate. See you in five years.

And now it’s my opportunity to channel my inner Katie Couric. If you have not had a colonoscopy, don’t put it off any longer. All it takes is a day and a half off your routine, and in return you get peace of mind and one less thing to worry about.

My dinner last night: Chicken salad sandwich and homemade tomato soup.

The Bibster's dinner last night: Grilled lamb chops with rosemary and mustard with side salad.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is the video on You Tube?

Len said...

Yes, but the quality is shitty.

Anonymous said...

Party pooper.