Saturday, April 12, 2008

The Return of the Sunday Countdown

When I wrapped up the Sunday countdown of "My Top 25 Favorite Films," I witnessed an interesting phenomenon from many of you readers who communicate with me via e-mail. You all mentioned how much you looked forward to seeing what film would pop up next. And how much you enjoyed the whole series.

And you all wondered what the hell I was going to do next.

Huh?

Honestly, I didn't think I was going to follow it up with anything specific. But, I realized how much I myself loved going into my mental treasure chest. I recalled things about those movies that I hadn't thought about for years. You all got a surprise when you opened up this blogspot every Sunday. For me, it was frequently a weekly catharsis.

Does magic work twice? Rarely unless you're David Copperfield. But, nevertheless, I gave thought to what I would do my Casey Kasem on next. The answer was logical.

My Top 25 Favorite TV Shows.

Once again, this is more based on my love of a particular TV show than quality. Granted most of these programs are damn good. But, at the same time, my criteria for selecting these shows was based on TV moments that consumed me. I didn't concentrate on prime time. All genres were eligible. Series I never missed. Or had particularly fond memories about how they impacted specific times in my life. When I sat down to compile this list, I found it was amazingly easy. I ticked off shows one after another. Total gut reaction After I finished, I looked back over the list and was surprised. By the inclusion of some, which you might find bizarre. One or two of these programs you could be hardpressed to remember on your own. There are some equally strange omissions. Where is so-and-so? What about such-and-such? They might be well-known parts of television history. But, they did not make the life-altering impact on yours truly.

There are personal reasons that justify each and every one of these selections. And they all resonate with me on some sort of emotional level. Perhaps a head scratcher for you, but a total no-brainer for me.

Some factoids for those who might want to speculate:

There are thirteen comedies.

There are three soap operas.

There are two talk shows.

There are two game shows.

There are two shows created by the same two people.

There are several shows that feature the same or connected characters.

There is only one western.

Enough. Let's start with tomorrow. Number vingt-et-cinq.

Dinner last night: Turkey meat loaf.