Sunday, May 11, 2008

My Top 25 Favorite TV Shows - #21!


I will pause for a moment, so you can all ask the question in your own fashion.

"What the hell is that?"

I would expect very few of you will remember "Bracken's World." It aired for just 41 episodes on Fridays at 10PM on NBC from September 19, 1969 through December 25, 1970. The drama had marginal ratings in its first season and pretty much tanked during its second year, which was cut short at mid-season. And, in the truest sense of being forgotten, it is dreadfully hard to even find anything about it anywhere. No one reruns it. There are a few truncated episode guides on the internet. There are no clips on YouTube, except for a photo gallery about Leslie Nielsen (he joined the cast for the second year) set to the second season theme song which was done by the Lettermen. Some joker on eBay is actually selling VHS dubs of selected episodes. The first season theme song (which I still hum to this day) is on a TV Theme Songs website, but I can't figure out how to load the musical link to this link. Nevertheless, largely, the show is long gone and even longer forgotten.

But not by me.

"Bracken's World" was my first foray into Appointment Television. Oh, sure, there were a bunch of shows from my childhood that were never missed. But, this program was indeed exclusively my own. Nobody else in my house watched it. Not my parents. Not my grandmother. I had one good friend in the neighborhood who was equally addicted, but she and I were essentially the smallest fan club possible.
I didn't give a shit. I loved it!

There was a lot going on for me in the fall of 1969. Those months would provide for me the most golden memories of my childhood. The New York Mets went from last place to first place and wound up their most amazing season with a World Series win over the Baltimore Orioles. Given that most of my friends "up the block" were Yankee fans, this, too, was a feat and an enjoyment exclusive only to me. I suddenly felt validated as a sports fan.

And "Bracken's World" gave me credence as my first hour-long "adult" drama that I was watching all on my own. It was mine. Only mine.

"Bracken's World" was just what the title said. A world run by movie mogul John Bracken. It was the story of Century Studios and, given that it was shot on the 2oth Century Fox lot, they really didn't need to modify too much signage. Ironically, my current LA apartment is probably on part of the Fox backlot that was sold off by Darryl Zanuck to cover some huge debts. Somehow, I'd like to think that I am living right now on part of what was "Bracken's World."

Century Studios was a throwback to the way that movie studios like MGM or Paramount used to be. Big communities with lots of people in residence. The house director. The studio head's executive assistant. The acting coach. The stunt man. The Marlon Brando wannabe. A family in a work environment. It made me decide right then and there that I wanted to be in the entertainment business. Up until I ran into "Bracken's World," I always thought I was going to wind up as a veterinarian. This show changed that all for me. Permanently.

And then there were the three resident starlets on the show. One Marilyn Monroe type, one Grace Kelly type, and one Loretta Young type. There was something for everybody's tastes. And those three beauties, played by Karen Jensen, Laraine Stephens, and Linda Harrison, made me move toward adulthood in a completely different way. Perhaps that's another reason why I was watching this all by myself.

Another great thing about "Bracken's World" was they dragged in tons of cameos and guest stars. People who were just walking through the studio. Debbie Reynolds. Ricardo Montalban. Edward G. Robinson. Janet Leigh. Ida Lupino. A who's who of Hollywood back numbers. Hell, during a bulk of the first season, Bracken's assistant was played by the legendary Eleanor Parker, and she has pretty much disappeared ever since. Great stuff for a starstruck kid who suddenly realized that there was a lot more to life than a Jerry Koosman victory.

Sadly, "Bracken's World" never really caught on. I have some theories why, especially in light that it did have an okay-sized audience its first season. During that initial year, Bracken was never seen a la the disenfranchised voice they used on "Charlie's Angels." He was always on a conference call from New York or Cannes or some other place where you normally find studio moguls. The producers, in an effort to spice up the show in its second season, elected to show us all John Bracken and the role was played by Leslie Nielsen. With all due respect to the actor who shares my birthday, this move did not work. The Bracken character was much more imposing and powerful when you were removed from him. It changed the series and not for the better.

The other second season turn-off was the direct result of a poor choice of plotlines. In the second episode that year, they decided to kill off the alcoholic wife of house director Kevin Grant, played by Peter Haskell. They did so in a story very reminiscent of what happened to Sharon Tate at the hands of Charles Manson. The only problem is that this aired only about a year after the real event and it certainly was way too fresh in the minds of the viewer. A major disconnect.

I wish I had some audio and video to show you. I don't. But that's the way it always was with "Bracken's World." It wasn't just Bracken's. It was mine as well.

And apparently mine alone.

Dinner last night: Thai steak salad at 17th Street Cafe.

Celebrity Sighting Yesterday: Kyra Sedgwick and Kevin Bacon walking down Montana Avenue in Santa Monica.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember Bracken's World although I wasn't a fan. Seemed like a soap, and that Peter Haskell wasn't any good. Hammy comes to mind.

Len said...

There was no continuing storyline to Bracken's World, so it was not really soapy.

As for Peter Haskell, he's barely worked since, so I guess hammy is as hammy does.

Anonymous said...

The tone of the show was soapy, perhaps too adult at that age. Haskell struck me as a daytime actor, self-conscious, not lost in his character. Actory, in other words. His subsequent unemployment is no surprise.