Thursday, May 29, 2008

The Return of Scar Tissue

The best part of doing a daily blog is that there are moments in life that repeat themselves. And the more likely repetitive moments are those that revolve around chronic body issues.

Such was the case on Memorial Day weekend, which was made more memorable for me due to a recurring back problem being egged on by some nasty scar tissue. And it dawned on me that I had posted on this once before. Actually, it was the second entry I ever made in this blog. So, like a trusty episode of "I Love Lucy," here it is all over again. Just know that the pain this time was just the same.

Every once in a while, there are medical conditions that become the hot diagnoses. Do you all remember about fifteen to eighteen years ago when anybody who was feeling tired or stressed was diagnosed as suffering from Epstein Barre syndrome? Okay, now tell me how often you have heard about that disease since then? Does no one get this anymore? Was there a vaccine that I never heard about? During my last physical, my doctor gave precautionary shots for tetanus and whooping cough. Is he incompetent? Did he forget to give me the Epstein Barre inoculation? I think not.

And, then, back in the 90's, any kid from the ages of 5 to 12 who acted up was diagnosed as ADD. "My son just shot the DHL guy. I guess he's ADD." "My daughter won't eat broccoli. Yep, ADD." Now, I do realize that this is a legitimate condition. As a matter of fact, I know there are quite a few people in my business world who are in their 40s and clearly were never diagnosed with ADD, primarily because it was not the hot condition at the time. But I digress...

Over the past month, I have heard about five or six people tell me that the cause of the pain somewhere in their body is due to scar tissue. This concept is used whether they have had surgery or not. My thought is that there is somebody who works in marketing for the Mayo Clinic who comes up with this stuff.

So, I go to my chiropractor this week for this nagging muscle pain around my lower abdomen. It is partly attributed to the fact that I sit writing on a computer almost seven hours a day. (And, of course, this blogging exercise is now an added factor). But, as she is working on my deep tissue massage, she notes, "Hmm, you have a scar there. I am betting this is a scar tissue issue." I think about it for a second and realize that, yes, I did surgery six years ago in that precise region. (This was the operation where I donated some sporting good equipment to St. John's Hospital.)

I never had Epstein Barre. I am not ADD. But, I am now a full fledged card carrying member of the Scar Tissue brigade. And I am crouched over in pain proudly.

Dinner last night: Grilled Chicken Teriyaki as I settle into NYC.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Reruns?

Len said...

More like a remake. Hey, the problem came back, so what the hell?

Hey, I flew 2500 miles yesterday and still managed to write a new one for Friday.

And more prom pictures are running on Saturday. Thanks to your suggestion.

Anonymous said...

My pleasure. Fun should be shared.

Anonymous said...

R.I.P. Sidney Pollack, Dick Martin, Harvey Korman.

Busy week.