Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Passages on Passages

You know what they say about celebrity deaths? They come in threes. I've always been curious about this. Say, you're a Hollywood star feeling under the weather. Two other notables die. Do you start to worry about this uneasy feeling you're having in your stomach? Do you think that cough could become a bit more serious? Do you start to obsess about which other two stars you will enter the pearly gates with? Maybe it's somebody you really can't stand. Just some idle musings.

Of late, we've had a flurry from the Grim Reaper. Indeed, there have been five celebrity passages recently. All of them gave me an immediate knee jerk reaction or memory. A quick connection to something else that might have been on my mind.

While I didn't go to UCLA or know Coach John Wooden, I've heard that this is one of the nicest men you'd ever want to meet. Like the late Chick Hearn and Vin Scully, this was a man who was a very important thread in the fabric of Los Angeles.

I was at the Dodger game when they announced Wooden's passing. They did so by having Vin Scully, for only the second time ever, interrupt the game via Diamondvision. Immediately, the entire crowd stood as one in a very long and warm standing ovation. The applause did the impossible and usually unthinkable. It drowned out Vin's well-chosen words. And that shifted my thoughts to the man delivering the news on the big TV screen. And how sad I will be when the last part of that SoCal triumverate moves on himself.

Even though I'm not a pothead, I appreciate Dennis Hopper's work in film. Most particularly, I recall one of my favorite movies of all time. "Giant." Hopper had a supporting role in this as Rock Hudson's son. Thinking back to his plotline, he plays a young Texas doctor who endures lots of prejudice when he marries a Mexican from across the border. Hmmm. An early version of Arizona? A movie that is over fifty years old and it is now as timely as ever.

I was on-line at 35,000 feet when I saw that the "missus" pulled the plug on Gary Coleman. Lots of folks have viewed this as sad. I wondered what took so long. This sap was tagged with a tragic future when he was five years old. His passing, however, prompted a very bizarre comment from a much younger work colleague who was completely devastated that Gary was gone.

"My God, he was my entire childhood. My favorite show. Now I know how you must have felt when Lucy died."

Huh? First of all, thanks for the age reference, you dork. Just so you know, I watched "I Love Lucy" in daytime reruns. And are you even possibly connecting some sort of social significance to Gary Coleman as a major contributor to the television medium? You are kidding, right?

Rue McClanahan also just moved on and it's amazing that Betty White is the last Golden Girl standing. This was a phenomenal show that frequently gets overlooked when they talk about great sitcoms. Remember that all four of those gals won Emmys for their performances in that program. A true testimony to terrific acting.

Thinking about Rue, I remember a little piece of television trivia she and I shared. We appeared together in the only "Murphy Brown" episode either of us did. She was a guest star. I was simply hanging about for a few months, just getting my feet wet. But, as you see below, there's Candice Bergen, Rue McClanahan, and yours truly ambling by.

I introduced myself to her that week and she was wonderfully gracious. I do recall that, on show night, the studio audience did not know she was in the cast for that episode. When the FYI elevator doors opened and Rue entered for her first scene, there was a delighted gasp from the crowd and quite the spontaneous ovation. They had to stop filming. A great example of that very special connection between a solid professional and her adoring fanbase.

The recent Hollywood death that got little attention (save for me) was the passing of Dorothy De Borba.

Who, you say?

Her, I say. Look at the picture and you'll know.


Dorothy was part of that Our Gang cast that I just couldn't get enough of when I was a kid. Jackie Cooper, Mary, Wheezer, Farina, Miss Crabtree. Love 'em all! Dorothy was in one of my most favorite Our Gang shorts entitled "Love Business." As Chubby Ubbsy is cooing sweet nothings to a plastic mannequin, Dorothy is in the background adding her very special asides.

Chubby: Oh, my dear, hear the pleas in my whispers.

Dorothy: Oh, my dear, hear the fleas in my whiskers.

Chubby: If love is like a rose, I will nip my rose in the bud.

Dorothy: If love is like a rose, I will stick my nose in the mud.

Chubby: My heart is filled with joy. I want to trip and dance.

Dorothy: My heart is filled with joy. I want to rip my pants.

They don't make 'em like that anymore. Goodbye to all.

Dinner last night: Salami sandwich.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dorothy did one of those great Rascals double takes.