Friday, June 25, 2010

Coming Soon to a Radio Near You


As the sign says, Think Cure! is the official charity of the Los Angeles Dodgers. It's devoted to cancer research, so I would encourage you to seek out the website and make a donation.

Okay, you're asking. What the hell has this got to do with your blog?

Okay, I'm answering.

Each season, the Dodgers hold a weekend devoted to this charity. They conduct on-line auctions for a variety of memorablia, stadium experiences, and the like. Since I'm usually good for a few hundred dollars to cancer research every year, this gives me a great way to make that donation.

So, what was of interest to me this year? Well, for instance, I could have a meet and greet with announcer Vin Scully. This year, you needed to bid over five grand to win that. Well, that's also about a dozen car lease payments for me.

I could win an Italian dinner with Tommy Lasorda. Another high bid and then I would need to wear an extra large bib. There was an opportunity to get a 30-minute batting lesson with coach Don Mattingly. With my knee issues, this was an unlikely opportunity for me.

Honorary batboy? Again, with my knee issues, it would be just my luck to get whacked in the leg by Casey Blake's backswing in the on-deck circle.

Honorary groundskeeper? Again, with my knee issues, I could potentially create a game delay while raking the infield at the end of the third inning.

Now, several years ago, I did win an auction bid. Got myself a baseball autographed by Clayton Kershaw. This time around, I decided to aim a little bit higher.

And that's my long way of explaining why, sometime in July or August, I will be the guest host on KABC-AM's post-game Dodger Talk with Ken Levine and Josh Suchon. Since I think these guys do a terrific job with this program, it was of great interest to me. Who knew I would win it for a bid of just $250?

Okay, they may simply let me wear headphones and say "hello." But, perhaps they will realize I have something to say and can do so without uttering a fucking, er, bleep, curse word. I've already traded a series of e-mails with Josh and he must have already figured out that I'm not some moronic fan like "Lou from Tarzana."

Watch this blog for the announcement of the big date. Those of you on the East Coast, KABC is streamed on your computer. Even though it might be a late night for you, there's absolutely no excuse.

And, if you want to call in, please remember to turn down your radio.

Dinner last night: Hunan Beef at First Szechwan Wok.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You should e-mail your Mets article to them in advance of the show and maybe a few baseball blogs. Show your stuff as a writer.

Anonymous said...

Also, I'm thinking your radio resume.