Thursday, May 14, 2015

Here's What I Don't Watch....

You folks have been with me for 2,999 blog posts (Spoiler alert: #3,000 is tomorrow) and you've heard me rave about TV shows that I have loved over time.  

But, when you get right down to it, there's a lot of so-called popular TV that I have never sampled.   Or didn't want to.   Or tried to watch and hated.   Indeed, some of your favorite TV shows might be listed below.   Sorry.   If you love it to death, God bless you.  

Mad Men:  It's a big deal right now because the series is ending.   From what I gather, this thing jumped the shark a long time ago.   And it never really got an audience outside of media centers New York and Los Angeles.  Given the retro 60s setting, you would think this was a show that would appeal to me.  On three separate occasions, I tried to watch the first four episodes.   All three times, I fell asleep at exactly the same time during the fourth episode.  Classically overwritten and not as clever as the producers would lead to you think.

Game of Thrones:   For the longest time, I thought this was a video game.   Frankly, anything set in remotely medieval times bores the crap out of me.  It's the same reason why I have never seen a single frame of any of the Lord of the Rings movies.  

Boardwalk Empire:  I watched the very first episode and found it numbing.  Having already lived through the entire Sopranos series not one, not twice, but three times.   I didn't need to see this rehashed as a costume piece.  I did later on see a scene when it was being shot at the Yonkers train station.   The assistant director tried to prevent me from entering the station because they were filming.   No AD can hold me.  I boarded my train as scheduled.

Breaking Bad:   I hate shows with unlikeable heroes.  This struck me as one of them.

The Walking Dead:  This struck me as another one.

Late Show with David Letterman:  Confession: when this first came on, I was a regular fan.  But, if you watch it night after night, you realize how repetitious it gets.  How many times can you watch a German Shepherd jump rope?  I've tuned into a few of his final episodes and you can really see that Mr. Letterman, dirtbag that he is, doesn't really give a shit about investing any time into this show any more.  People tell me he stopped caring about ten years ago.   I still miss you, Johnny.

The Good Wife:  I wish I had started when this show began several seasons ago.  Now I hear it's really good, but I'm so far behind.

Girls:  Fat naked chicks with a lot of ink are hardly an inducement for me.  Plus I hear this Lena Dunham is a real scumbag.

The Voice:  I used to watch American Idol and stopped.   Why do I want to see another version of the same show?

American Idol:  Yeah, I used to watch it and stopped.   Well, it's going to finally end after 15 seasons.   It's been on so long that I think the Singing Nun was the very first Idol.

The Bachelor:  Seriously?

The Bachelorette:  Double seriously???

Anything Kardashian, Housewives, or Featuring Somebody I Don't Recognize from People Magazine:  Well, that takes care of 75% of what's on television.

Dancing With The Stars:  It should be called Dancing With The Former Stars Who Are One Step Above Appearing at Car Wash Openings.

Dateline NBC:  Call me wacky, but, for some odd reason, endless stories about some White trash mobile home owner hacking up his wife and leaving her body parts in dumpsters all over the state of Alabama don't necessarily appeal to me.

Any televised speech by the President of the United States, Whoever He or She May Be:   Because...

Dinner last night:  Leftover chicken and broccoli.


No comments: