Thursday, August 24, 2017

Len's Recipe of the Month - August 2017

Now people who really know me are fully cognizant of the fact that I am not a fan of the sliced tomato.   Oh, I will eat tomato sauce and drink tomato juice or slurp up tomato soup.  Bruschetta is great.   Roasted tomatoes are terrific. Even a slice of tomato on a BLT sandwich is lovely.   Just don't ask me to eat a wedge of a tomato.

Unless, of course, if it's the month of August and your vines have tender tomatoes.   Most notably, I love the heirloom tomato at this time of year.

Knowing that, my neighbor who goes to lots of farmer's markets knocked on my door one recent afternoon.  He had three heirloom tomatoes in his hand and they were about a day away from being not fresh.  They were not going to use them.  Since I didn't have a planned dinner that night, I willingly took them in.

And completely improvised a meal that would be nothing but these tomatoes. So delicious.

Slice the heirlooms into 1/4 to 1/2 inch slices.   Lay out on a cookie sheet. Drizzle first with some EVO.   A little sea salt.   A little oregano.   

I always keep three kinds of shredded cheese in my fridge at all times.   For this one, I sprinkled on top of each slice some shredded mozzarella and then some shredded parmesan.   Shove into your oven and use the broiler for about ten to fifteen minutes.   

You wind up with a great and healthy dinner.   Like little pizzas without the crust.  Next time, I am going to sit a slice of pepperoni under the cheese.   I bet that will be grand.

Tomatoes a la Len.   Or something like that.

Dinner last night:  Barbecue chopped salad with bacon.

No comments: