Saturday, April 28, 2007

Shopping Tip of the Day

A couple of days ago, I am in the men's department of Macy's. Waiting on line to pay for a new belt.

A woman of unknown foreign descent is at the sales counter. The only description I can provide is that she is badly dressed and has probably not used a preposition in a sentence for years.

And every item she has on the counter comes with a story.

"This no fit."

"This wrong color."

"Where is manager?"

"This 10% off?"

Lasting peace in the Middle East will be easier.

As she prattled on in barely formed sentences, I started to snap the belt in my hand. At first, I am doing it aimlessly. But, when I notice that the snapping gets her head to turn, I start doing it more. And more. And louder. And louder.

All of a sudden, the problems went the way of Amelia Earhart. She quickly picked up her stuff and ran off. I might as well have yelled for Immigration.

Keep it in mind when you are behind one of these gnomes on line.

But, it only really works if you are buying a belt.

Dinner last night: Chef's salad.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like my building manager, Tanya, who's Russian and leaves notices in broken English in the elevator. "We past the inspection."

Oy.