Thursday, April 19, 2007

So Long, Farewell, Auf Wiedersehn, Good Night


America's long nightmare is over. Two days after parents all across America had to sit down with their children and help them confront their fears about stepping into a school room, they have to comfort them all over again. I wish I didn't have to equate the two diametrically opposed events, but this turkey's ouster was the lead story on my 10PM news last night---ahead of those chilling home movies from that creep who shot up a campus. What does that say? Nevertheless, I am thrilled that this morning, I can finally say...

Sanjaya, we are pre-boarding your row.

I cannot really get a handle on this kid. Originally, I thought he didn't get the joke, like the kid in school with the clip-on tie and pocket pen protector who thinks he's hot. Then, a few weeks ago, I was convinced he was in on the gag. Like some practical joker who is giggling in the bushes while people bend over to pick up a wallet that he's attached a string to. Hee hee hee hee. But, then, I heard him on Seacrest's radio show this AM and he sounded....gulp, normal. Just a 17-year-old high school kid who probably should have stuck to trig.

Whatever the case, he is toast, pass the butter. Now, they can get down to the business of continuing with a singing competition, where four of the final six finalists actually have the chance of me buying their first CDs.

If you watched the results show last night, you will note that there were a groundswell of cheers in the studio when he was shown the door. For a moment, I thought they were all listening to the Laker game. But, obviously, people were clearly now tired of the joke. So, despite all the nonsense about teenage girls being fixated, Howard Stern prattling on and on, and that computer geek with the "Vote for the Worst" website, the vote finally got it right. The kid couldn't sing and he never got better. Done. Period. Exclamation point. The meat's cooked. Let's make gravy.

When it was him and Lakisha standing as the final two, I could swear she was reaching behind her back for some numchucks to hit him upside his head. If she had gone home, I think we would have seen a fight worthy of the longest line in the DMV.

Now that would have been great television.



Dinner last night: sandwich and salad.

No comments: