Sunday, August 19, 2007

My Shining Moment


Whether it be raffles, silent auctions, lotteries, or Fan Appreciation days, I never win anything. The only time my name is randomly called for anything is jury duty.

Until Friday night.

There I was at Dodger Stadium. The Dodgers were leading the Rockies, 5-2. I was safely esconced in my season seats, Loge Aisle 144, Row G, Seats 1 and 2. (I wasn't sitting in two seats. I do have friends.) I was putting the final touches to Dodger lefthander Eric Stults' pitch count. I looked up from my scorebook. And found a huge video camera in my face. There was the stadium camera man and some other dweeb from the Dodger organization. He announced that he was going to give me a prize.

Huh?

It turns out Loge Aisle 144, Row G was going to be that night's Islands Restaurant Row of the Game. He had a gift card in his hand. I reached for it. He pulled it back. First they had to use it to frame the shot for Diamondvision.

Huh?

Me: "Please don't put me on Diamondvision."

Him: "We have to. You're in the first seat of the row."

That's probably the only time it doesn't pay to have the aisle seat.

Like a rectal exam, it was over quickly. And they passed the gift cards to the whole row. I was sorry to see that some of my season ticket regulars were not in attendance last night. The only ones there were young Andrew and his dad at the other end of the row. Also aisle seats that could have easily been selected. That would have still given me the freakin' gift card and spare me the sight of seeing myself on Diamondvision.

It is true. Television does add weight to your body. About 134 pounds!

Those of you who read regularly will note that Islands has been a dinner destination several times. A good prize. I remember once seeing a Bally gym membership being awarded to a lady who had to be 85.

I savor the victory. I finally won something.

Dinner last night: Hot dog and chips at the Hollywood Bowl.

No comments: