Thursday, January 24, 2008

Dear Mr. Met...


Well, not really. But the letter below is my first correspondence with the wonderful powers-that-be from the New York Metropolitan Baseball Club. As you may know, my Saturday seats at Shea Stadium are unlikely to transfer to the new dump they are building. It's time now for me to become a pebble in Jeff Wilpon's shoe.

To: Mr. William Ianniciello Vice President, Ticket Sales and Services, New York Mets, Shea Stadium, Flushing, New York 11368

Dear Mr. Ianniciello:

In a separate communication, I have remitted my payment for my 2008 Saturday plan for my 2 Loge seats (Section 7, Row E, Seats 1 and 2). In the past 40 years, this annual news did not merit a written announcement. But, indeed, given the upcoming move to Citi Field and the ramifications of that transition, I realize that this recent transaction will probably be my last.

It is clear to me from the careful wording of your correspondence which accompanied my 2008 invoice that there will be no room for partial plan holders at Citi Field. As you stated, "Full Season Ticket Holders for 2008 will have priority in purchasing Full Season Tickets for Citi Field in 2009, before any determination on the use of remaining seating inventory." With a seating capacity diminished by 10,000 seats and an intense desire to sell as many full season tickets as possible, it is readily apparent to me that, at the very, very best, I might have Saturday tickets somewhere closer to the Bronx-Whitestone Bridge.

You may be looking at my return address and wondering why somebody in Los Angeles would care about this. Well, sir, I care a great deal. My parents first purchased this Saturday plan for me in 1968 when I was still a youngster. The Saturday ritual was part of my life throughout high school, college, and then my adult life. These seats every Saturday have been much more than just a date on my calendar. They have been a very significant component to the highlight reel of my life. Despite re-locating to Los Angeles 10 years ago, I have still maintained this family tradition and even personally attend 5 or 6 of the annual 13 Saturday contests.

I believe I merit a more concise blueprint for my future as it pertains to my Met ticket plan. I would be naive to think that I am the only person who has held a partial plan as long as I have. But, at the same time, there can't be many of us. And, hopefully, you are learning that those folks are equally as distressed as I am. I also plan to look for definitive answers in other venues as well, most notably the media.

It is incredibly sad to me that a major part of my life may come to an end in such an ignoble fashion. While some history books are meant to be ultimately closed, I was always of the mindset that this particular compendium of life memories would not be completed for some time. To even consider that there will be a New York Met home game on a Saturday without tickets in my back pocket is unfathomable at the moment.

Thanks for considering this letter.

Cc: David Howard, Jeff Wilpon.

Unlike the 2007 Mets, I am not going down without a fight.

Dinner last night: Hanger steak and mushrooms at Metro Marche.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If they deny you the tix, alert the media.