Friday, January 11, 2008

Your January 2008 Weekend Movie Guide



Here we go. First one of 2008. Another Friday where I become your navigator to good movies and away from bad ones. I stroll through the LA Times Calendar section and comment on the movie ads as I see them. You have an added benefit this month as I saw quite a bit of this stuff during the Christmas break. Godspeed to all of us. I hope you spend your 10-12 bucks wisely.

The Savages: I saw this last weekend and it is an incredibly insightful look at putting a failing parent in a nursing facility. The writer and director of this film must have done it because it all rings true when I compare it to my own experiences. If you have ever been in this position in your life, run to see this movie. And it is one more validation that Laura Linney is one of the best actresses working today. She doesn't opt for cookie cutter roles that others clamor for. She digs down deep and it shows.

The Orphanage: A movie that is hopefully the destination for Britney Spears' children.

I'm Not There: About 75 people play the role of Bob Dylan. I know somebody who once shared a limousine with him. He reeked of poor hygiene. I'm glad I was not there, too.

Alvin and the Chipmunks: Christmas is over. Kids are back in school. Pull this from the multiplexes please.

The Water Horse: The Legend of the Deep: I love the ads for this, which compare the Loch Ness Monster to ET. The trailers showed some of the cheesiest computer graphics ever. You could almost see the label on the side of the monster's neck. Made in Japan.

Enchanted: The best live action comedy to come from Disney since Fred MacMurray was flying around with the Model T.

Into the Wild: They have brought this mess back because director Sean Penn got a DGA nomination. They are now trying to make it sound like the lead is this unforgettable character that you will just love when, in reality, he is one of these mentally deranged kooks who's into nature and then dies after eating some poisonous berries. The only reason to see it is for Hal Holbrook's brief performance. I'm not sure if my watch was right, but I think the movie was about 3 days long.

P.S. I Love You: This got dreadful reviews. One of those movies that needs to come with the following disclaimer: No Men Will Be Permitted...EVER! P.S. I Can't Be Bothered.

Atonement: This has major Oscar buzz, so I may have to sample it. It has the look of P.S. I Love You but with a serious WWII setting. The other reason why I may see it is because a friend from church told me that Keira Knightley has really bad teeth and now I am dying to look.

Charlie Wilson's War: Didn't I warn you about this malignant tumor last week? Friends are coming back to me and saying that they wished they had listened to me. If you're dying to see Tom Hanks, wait till he's hovering over the Super Bowl.

American Gangster: I totally missed this movie when it first came out, so I took myself one afternoon to see it in one of those discount theaters where you wind up with gum on your pants. As most movies are, this thing is about 30 minutes too long. But, the story is compelling and Russell Crowe really takes some chances with his role selections. The scenes of domestic violence made me think I was watching Denzel Washington's home movies.

Sweeney Todd: This was a truly terrific evening of entertainment for me, given that I saw it in the spectacular Cinerama Dome. I've seen the show several times. Somehow, they cut songs but made the whole thing tighter. The only tune I actually missed was the opening "Legend of Sweeney Todd." Johnny Depp was marvelous. My one quibble is that this was a holiday release. Blood flowed as freely as egg nog at the office party.

The Bucket List: Show of hands, please. How many people are truly tired of Jack Nicholson and Morgan Freeman? Hold on. I can't count that fast. It was one of those trailers where they showed you the only good scenes from the movie. These guys can go ahead and kick it already.

One Missed Call: And apparently one missed film.

In the Name of the King, A Dungeon Siege Tale: For those who just can't get enough of Jason Statham.

The Great Debaters: I'm on the fence with this one. Friends have told me it's quite good. But, the ad has six embedded words that absolutely scare the Raisinets out of me. Director Denzel Washington. Producer Oprah Winfrey. If I want to watch a bunch of black kids argue, I'd much prefer a game of Snaps. You know what I mean. "Your mama is so fat that..."

No Country for Old Men: I saw this a while ago and it is the leading contender for the Best Picture Oscar. While I liked it overall, the ending was terrible. It was sort of like having a great entree at a five star restaurant and then they give you a Jello mold for dessert.

I Am Legend: To tell you what I really think, I'm going to include a spoiler alert. Halfway through the movie, Will Smith's dog dies. After that, any heart and soul the film had went out the window, because, essentially, the dog is a better actor than Will. I have no clue what people see in this guy. The last half-hour or so is a visual bombardment of CGI that actually made me nauseous.

Juno: One of the best written screenplays in years. I've already seen it twice, because another movie I was going to see was sold out. Ellen Page is remarkable, but so is the whole cast. Any script that includes the word "shenanigans" is okay in my book. Jason Bateman is also in it, and he seems to be in everything these days. His presence also reminded me that, in the game of Six Degrees of Jason Bateman, I am only one removed. Jason Bateman was in "The Hogan Family" TV show, playing the brother of the actor, who is now my financial advisor.

National Treasure: Book of Secrets: The big holiday blockbuster that got everybody's money. Except mine.

The Diving Bell and the Butterfly: This film is depicted as uplifting. Apparently by masochists. I thought it was depressing as hell. It's a true story about some French guy who dictated a whole book by simply blinking one eyelid. Gee, if the dude had one of those nervous twitches, he could have written as much as John Grisham.

There Will Be Blood: The aforementioned sold out movie that precipitated my second viewing of Juno. The reviews from critics are fabulous. From my friends, much less so. It is on my list.

Dinner last night: BLT at the Gardens in Westwood.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I thought you said you saw Atonement during your Christmas vacation (that it tied with Juno as your favorite?)

Len said...

Never got around to Atonement.

Anonymous said...

Read the book.