Thursday, February 12, 2015

Anatomy of a Spam Message



This is Michael Raynor, US Ambassador to the Benin Republic, wherever the hell that is.   He looks like a nice enough guy.  I hope nothing happens to him in the service of our country.

Heck, we're friends apparently.   I just got an e-mail from him.

I don't think he knows that he sent it.   You see, it's just one more bizarr-o message in our spam folders.

We all get them.   Send us your information and we'll tell you how to get the five million dollars left to you by the Nigerian cousin you never knew you had.   There's one of these in my spam folder every single day.   

But this one caught my eye because it was "from" an ambassador.   I was curious to look the dude up and sure enough he does exist.   I would recommend he upgrade his virus protection soon.

So I decided to carve up this message to show you how even the stupidest among us can tell that this is a complete fraud sent by dirtbags overseas.   Let's take a peek, shall we?   I will be commenting in blue.
 
Hello:Beneficiary,  Okay, unless this embassy employs the dumbest office help, you don't open a letter with a colon.

Please i  Mr. Raynor should be embarrassed by the poor grammar his hackers are using want to inform you that your fund was brought to my desk this morning because the SECRETARY OF UNITED NATION United Nations!!! here in Benin Republic I still don't know where the Benin Republic is and I don't want to said that they will divert your compensation fund to the Government Treasury account just because you failed to pay for their fee of your fund which is just $120.00 usd only.  Hey, I pay my bills on time.   Does the embassy have Paypal available?

But i told them to wait until i Lower case I.  Who typed this, e.e. Cummings? hear from you today so that i will know the reason why you rejected such amount When these spam notes don't include the simple use of "an," you know it was written by some shithead of a foreigner of money $1.5m which is a compensation from United Nation and will change your life just because of $120.00 usd   Such a deal!  Send us $120 and make back $1.5 million.   I need to mention this rate of return to my financial guy.

I want your urgent response as soon as you receive this email and explain to
me the reason why you should abandon your fund  I've been busy what with the recent holidays and all or if you don't need it My kingdom for a comma. then we can change your name to another person so that the corrupt Government officials The last three words always seem to go together. of Benin Republic will not claim this money for their selfish interest, Now he uses a comma!   When it should be a period!

However if you are still interested in this funds then you fill your information below and get back to us immediately.

YOUR FULL CONTACT INFORMATION IS NEEDED.

YOUR FULL NAME:------------------------
YOUR PRIVATE PHONE NUMBER:-------------
HOME ADDRESS AND CITY--- -------------
SEX/OCCUPATION:-----------------------
AGE:----------------------------------

I will wait to hear from you now through this Email ( usembass6@Safe-mail.net )


Mr.Michael Raynor.
United States Ambassador to the Republic of Benin
E-MAIL:- usembass6@Safe-mail.net


Dinner last night:  Beef ravioli at Adoteca.

No comments: