Saturday, November 24, 2007

Where Are You, Joe Mannix?

Certainly on DVD anytime soon.

A LA Times article recently captivated me. It was all about the fact that this classic CBS crime drama is not slated for Box Set-dom in the foreseeable future. Given the way studios are emptying their vaults for a buck, what is the reasoning behind this? The show was a solid hit for eight full season from 1967 to 1975.

And, indeed, "Mannix" was one of two detective shows that really grabbed me as a kid, with the other being "Ironside." The show was violent as all hell. I have no clue how many non-fatal bullets Mannix took over the eight year run. One of the fan websites for the show listed him as being knocked unconscious 57 different times. That's over 7 times a season. You expect that star Mike Connors might be suffering from brain damage by now. Yet, he is comfortably sitting at home in Encino, and wondering why CBS-Paramount hasn't bothered to at least test the waters with Season 1. He's dying to do some commentary tracks, and I'm also thinking he's hoping even more for some residuals from the TV racks at Best Buy.

Above all, this was an incredibly well done crime drama. And it grabbed right from the getgo with that marvelously infectious theme song opening. This is when TV really knew how to pull you in from the opening musical note. With nary a squeezed credit to be found.



And then there was Gail Fisher, who actually won a Best Supporting Drama Actress Emmy for her role as Mannix's secretary, Peggy Fair. In most shows, she was reduced to one line of dialogue. "More coffee, Joe." But, every once in a while, they put her through the mill by tying her up and throwing her in a car trunk for the occasional kidnapping episode.

"Mannix" got run for a while on TV Land, which knows as much about classic television as I do about menstrual cramps. When it became obvious that an hour of "Mannix" stood in the way of one more rerun of that very special "Fresh Prince" episode, our favorite cup of Joe took another bullet.

I've actually seen TV shows on the DVD racks and couldn't believe that anybody was clamoring to buy Season 4 of "CHIPS." There are right now three different fan groups beating the doors down of the appropriate parties to give "Mannix" his digital due. Hell, I'd drive over and pick Mike Connors up and take him in to do his commentary.

As long as we're not being tailed by that yellow Nova.

Dinner last night: Thanksgiving leftovers.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's actually Gail Fisher. And I think the word "Not" is missing from the first line.

That aside, Mannix was one of the better-done series of that era. My sister loved it - much to my consternation when I wanted to watch the Rangers on Saturday. Unless the tapes have been destroyed, I agree that it's very hard to believe it's not available on DVD - there's so much crappier stuff out there.

Len said...

Changes duly noted and thank you. I knew it was Gail, but I was typing faster than I thought.

Anonymous said...

I would like to see mannix on dvd.It was a great show.Look up mannix on the web.