Thursday, December 6, 2012

Morons of the Month - December 2012

Don't get excited, folks.   I am not calling the baby Jesus a moron.  Or Mary and Joseph.  Or the Three Wise Men, although I might argue about the practicality of those gifts they brought.

Nope, I am including this beautiful Nativity scene from a past Christmas in Santa Monica.  Enjoy it.  You won't see the likes of it again.  Thanks to the true Morons of December 2012.
No, that would be the Santa Monica City Council and here are the current schmucks who get to play politics there right now.  These idiots have been cited on this blog before, so congratulations are in order for these repeat moronic offenders.  Remember when they banned stores in Santa Monica from providing plastic bags to their shoppers?  Well, now that they have seemingly conquered pollution, they want to take on that other pesky nuisance.

Organized religion.

When I first moved to Los Angeles, I stumbled across this annual Yuletide tradition when I was looking for a parking space in Santa Monica.  The latter is also akin to following a star in the sky across the desert.  A challenge.  Nevertheless, I happened to park in front of one of these Christmas displays and was interested enough to look at all of them.  Nativity and Christmas decorations from a variety of religious institutions all over town.  Not just Christian.  There were some Hanukah presentations from temples and synagogues as well.   The artwork and attention to detail was wonderful.  It drew me back to my youth.

Back in the day, when my mother and I used to walk to Christmas shopping on Fourth Avenue in Mount Vernon, New York.  We would always pass by the Our Lady of Mount Carmel Catholic church and they had this little grotto which would get decorated with a similar Nativity scene.  My mom was always one to stop and look at it.  She really enjoyed it.

P.S., my mother was not Catholic.  Yet, she appreciated this display every single year.

And she also would have enjoyed the Santa Monica displays as well.  I can appreciate and acknowledge other folks' expression of their own religions.  Despite what you would be led to believe in 2012, people in America can be amazingly tolerant when it comes to freedom of worship.

But, unfortunately, our leaders don't think the same way.  You see, some atheist groups got involved in Santa Monica and squawked about these religious displays.  And, as a result, the idiots above voted to have them banned.  After all, we can't offend somebody, can we?

Whatever happened to the notion of personal choice?  If you don't want to look, keep walking.

Okay, the Scientologists stage a super-elaborate Christmas display on Hollywood Boulevard every December.  I sometimes have to pass by it on my way to the Egyptian Theater.  Now, I'm no fan of Scientology but I certainly didn't get so riled up that I wrote my city councilman whoever that idiot is .  Nope, I simply walked by.  As loony as they can be, even I acknowledge the right of the Scientologists to express their faith.  Look, with Tom Cruise and John Travolta in the flock, they're already screwed.

That's the way it should be.  Every place but Santa Monica, where these numbskulls continually outdo themselves in enacting high prices of bullshit to live in their city.  Talk about a slippery slope.  Who else but the Santa Monica City Council would start a war against Christmas??

Another reminder, gang, of how much trouble we are in as Americans.  Now a place where you can't say, read, or worship anything if your next door neighbor disagrees with it.

Dinner last night:  Proscuitto, provolone, and red peppers on a wedge.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The chain link fence kinda puts a crimp in the Christmas spirit.